C&C please, enjoy!

levinest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This first one I really like how it turned out. It took a bunch of shots, adjusting and re-adjusting aperture and shutter and where I stood to get everything just right. It was some random people at the beach on top of a sand dune at just the right time.

D7K_2458 by levinest, on Flickr

This other one was at the same beach. I know, been there seen this one a million times I'm sure. I just like the way it turned out.

D7K_2480 by levinest, on Flickr

Neither of these photos was retouched at all.

I think these are great, I like the first one the best, yes I'd say you were there at just the right time!

LOVE the top one! Can you tell me how to get that sort of look?

I really like that first photo :thumbup:

@mrsdthompson: Y'know, it's funny. I thought I recalled doing the top one at a very narrow aperture to stop down the bright sun but as it turns out I had to open it up to f/9 to get the look I got. I had the shutter at 1/500 and the ISO at 100. This was with my 70-200 f/2.8 all the way zoomed in at 200mm. I have to say, being less experienced than most people here, it took a lot of experimenting. I could post 10-12 more that came out not nearly as good as this one before I got all of the settings just right and the framing just right and the kids up there on the left deciding to dance a little at just the right moment. It was partly using what I learned in reading Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure", which I'm still reading through, and part serendipity. Then again, my understanding from a number of "real" photographers is that the throwaway to keeper ratio is pretty high at any level of experience, it's just that the better you get the better they all are overall and some pro's throwaways are most of what I'd call keepers as my experience level.

LOL! Levinest I love your outlook!!! I'm right there with you! I snap, look, "dang it!" repeat... OFTEN!

You can eliminate the "dang it" - trial-and-error method, by gaining an understanding of how to make the camera do what you want it to do.

Have you ever seen these digital phpotography tutorials? → → → Digital Photography Tutorials

Last edited:
LOL! Levinest I love your outlook!!! I'm right there with you! I snap, look, "dang it!" repeat... OFTEN!

You mean chimping?

Errr ahhh, don't know where that came from. I'm the first to admit I've got a lot to learn, and if that means looking at every photo right after I take it to see what I did right or wrong, then yes that's exactly what mrsdthomson and I mean. No need to throw insults around at the newbies and/or people who don't hide the fact that they're amateurs when they're quite open about their skills, methods of getting the shots that they actually manage to get, and attitude/approach towards learning photography and growing as a photographer. Basically, I'm saying if you don't have something encouraging to add to the conversation or critical/critique regarding the photos I posted then perhaps it should better be left unsaid. There's quite enough of the veterans around here sniping at one another. It's unseemly. Let's let the newbies, including myself, grow into the site in a good way such that one day we can help others happily and willingly as many do today without feeling discouraged by unnecessary comments right from the start.

You mean chimping?

Errr ahhh, don't know where that came from. I'm the first to admit I've got a lot to learn, and if that means looking at every photo right after I take it to see what I did right or wrong, then yes that's exactly what mrsdthomson and I mean. No need to throw insults around at the newbies and/or people who don't hide the fact that they're amateurs when they're quite open about their skills, methods of getting the shots that they actually manage to get, and attitude/approach towards learning photography and growing as a photographer. Basically, I'm saying if you don't have something encouraging to add to the conversation or critical/critique regarding the photos I posted then perhaps it should better be left unsaid. There's quite enough of the veterans around here sniping at one another. It's unseemly. Let's let the newbies, including myself, grow into the site in a good way such that one day we can help others happily and willingly as many do today without feeling discouraged by unnecessary comments right from the start.

Whoa whoa whoa, just offering terminology :lol:

To be honest I'm just butthurt because I don't have a D7000 or a fast zoom :grumpy:

Oy, my apologies, then. This sounds like a perfect Rosanne Rosanna Dana opportunity to say "Nevermind..." ;)

Wow, after spouting on about others sniping at one another I go and take offense to something someone else says when it wasn't meant that way. Way to go, newbie...

Yeah, I sold my D90 and then doubled-down to get the D7000. My wife is being very forgiving of me spending a lot of money on my first truly deep obsession. I think the 70-200 really stopped me cold, though. Can't do that again without selling off one of the kids...

You dog. :lmao: I could dump $2k on a fast tele, too bad I spent the previous three years of my life saving that for a '67 Mustang.
Totally worth it IMO :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back