C&C please. Im new to black and white.. and it's my first post!

camera boyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was able to capture this pic as the old chevy drove by but I feel like the telephone pole going down into the car ruins the photo a little. What do you think? Any other c&c would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! (sorry for the huge size!!)

23b4030c1ffd4cb188a8d7c2a0726132

i donno, i like it. It has an "olden day" feeling to it.... but yea, just my thoughts.:thumbup:

Please resize your picture so it's smaller. 1000 pixels on the long side is more than enough. Some people don't have access to very high speed connections (I suspect the only reason I'm never in pain is because I'm almost directly connected to a Tier 1 ISP).

How are you converting to B&W?

The pickup is pretty small in the image, has little detail, and it has a lot of competition for the eye (telephone pole) with all the expanse of image around it. A crop would help since people usually like an image that has a sense of a pretty full frame.

The image is somewhat underexposed and the conversion has little contrast. My impression is an image made with the camera set to a monotone menu option or it was just de-saturated. B&W conversions take a fair bit of work and since there is no color controlling contrast is the goal.

It was taken very near mid-day from the looks of the shadow under the truck. The light is really harsh that time of day. For photographers, that's Miller time.

The shutter speed was so fast it stopped the motion of the wheels so it almost looks like the pickup is just stopped in the road. The diagonal helps some, because diagonal lines create a sense of motion and speed.

But what might be possible with some post processing? Get rid of the pole and the wire brace, the road sign, and 75% of the image that really isn't adding to much, add some shading to help those diagonals with that sense of motion:

But first, a possible crop to get all the road to the curve, but then we get the bushes on the right that are kind of distracting.

23b4030c1ffd4cb188a8d7c2a0726132B.jpg

So, we shorten it up a bit
23b4030c1ffd4cb188a8d7c2a0726132.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help Keith! I really appreciate it, and I do like both of the crops!

Most reactions

Back