What's new

C&C please on my first LR attempt at editing

SquarePeg44 5

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
16,692
Reaction score
18,291
Location
Boston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I am using a trial of LR4. I'm totally unfamiliar with PS so slowly working my way through each step. Would love some feedback as to the exposure (the original was darker) and anything else you care to comment on. Thanks! This was f36/6 sec, ISO 100, 70mm (18-200mm).

$DSC_0139.webp
 
The exposure isn't bad, but ummm... f36???? What???? Some of the specular highlights are rather hot, which means that your light source could use diffusion.
 
Interesting but this picture seam to be to be slightly soft, but I do love the composition, the flower arrangement is very harmoniously and attractive.
 
This was f36 / 6 sec, ISO 100, 70mm (18-200mm).

What in the world are you doing... :lol:
 
Flowers are not the ideal subject to shoot, because the result for many is a snap shot...as in no real visual impact and attraction. What is needed is a unique close-up camera view or some other creative approach to shooting the flower. My mother was successful in a photographic art competition by shooting a rose through a glass carved sunburst in her dish collection.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
This was f36 / 6 sec, ISO 100, 70mm (18-200mm).

What in the world are you doing... :lol:

Well, if I knew what I was doing... I was just practicing using manual focus and different apertures. The shots at 5.3 and f13 were not sharp on all of the flowers. I'm a noob at this, obviously. As for the light, it was late afternoon and a northwest facing window. This was just a vase of flowers on our kitchen table that caught my attention so I grabbed my camera and tried a bunch of different apertures. I know the subject is a bit boring but I want to get the basics down. Can you tell me more about why those specs are so funny? Do i need to re read Understanding Exposure again? I appreciate the input.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
Interesting but this picture seam to be to be slightly soft, but I do love the composition, the flower arrangement is very harmoniously and attractive.

Thanks. Soft means not sharply focused? I need to work on that.
 
This was f36 / 6 sec, ISO 100, 70mm (18-200mm).

What in the world are you doing... :lol:

Well, if I knew what I was doing... I was just practicing using manual focus and different apertures. The shots at 5.3 and f13 were not sharp on all of the flowers. I'm a noob at this, obviously. As for the light, it was late afternoon and a northwest facing window. This was just a vase of flowers on our kitchen table that caught my attention so I grabbed my camera and tried a bunch of different apertures. I know the subject is a bit boring but I want to get the basics down. Can you tell me more about why those specs are so funny? Do i need to re read Understanding Exposure again? I appreciate the input.


First, there shouldn't be an f/36 on your lens, more along minimum f-stop of f/22.
So, maybe your exif data isn't accurate to the file.

6 seconds is way too long of an exposure if you want a sharp motionless subject that is as dainty as a flower.

While it's true that many lenses get sharper when they're get in their sweet spots... sometimes over f/8, many lenses lose their sharpness at the minimum f-stop range.

I would suggest a faster shutter speed, and your 18-200 at f/5.6-8.
If your photo is too underexposed, you can raise ISO, reduce shutter speed reasonably, or get more light.

Keep shooting. :D
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
Thanks, I understand what you mean now On the chance that i read it wrong I rechecked the data in LR and that is what it says,
 
Do you remember clicking the shutter and it taking 6 seconds?

And you're pushing the button on the camera with your finger?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
I used the tripod and self timer to avoid any movement when hitting the shutter. I was using A priority and there were a few shots that were longish...
 
If you had shot at f/8, you probably wouldn't have needed a tripod with the light you had in that room.
 
We can't C&C your editing without seeing the unedited image.

Also Editing C&C is intended to be asked for in this forum -
[h=2]Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery
A place to show off your post processing skills, with explanations on how you achieved the results, including specialty images such as HDR. Share information and techniques using Adobe's Photoshop and other popular graphics software.
[/h]
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom