C&C Please, this is backwards, but I have to do it before i lose my nerve!

KDM16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody! This is my first post here. I'm just going to jump in here without properly introducing myself on the introductions thread, and upload some pics for your critiques. I've read a lot, and learned ALOT just reading the forums and others' critiques, etc!

My background, (so you have an idea of my experience): I have been interested in photography for forever (been taking pics with a P&S for years). Got my first dslr about a year ago. Taking photography classes and bugging the crap out of anybody and everybody to model for me!

Here are some of my pics for C&C.

#1 - My husband and kids
BDL1.jpg

#2 - This one is silly, but I uploaded the wrong - same basic pic, just subjects not being so goofy!
IMG_4401.jpg

DPP_0009.jpg

DPP_0345.jpg

These next two are from a textures assignment in one of my classes

#5 - snow
IMG_8125.jpg

#6 - the seed thing from a magnolia tree
IMG_8681.jpg

Thanks,
Kim

Nice to see someone who makes their first post about photos!

Just my 2 cents:

1) Nice shot, too much vignette for my tastes and also a little dark.

2) Well, fun shot but it's not the one you print and give to family members (well maybe some people do).

3) Nice background, I don't like the tilt though. I don't think many scenes benefit from it, maybe some action scenes.. it looks odd for portraits though. I'd also selectively sharpen the couple.

4) A bit heavy on the skin smoothing and/or softfocus effect, but otherwise looks like a well-thought out and posed portrait with a studio background - wait is that a shoulder to her left (camera right) ? Now it's all I can see..

5) Nice and different from the others. Looks like experimentation and that's a good thing.

6) That's kinda cool but both seeds are cut off and the blur in the background is really colorful and distracting. Might be worth trying with a different setting, paper background, etc.

Welcome to TPF,

Overall they are nice photos ... I agree with Reznap that the venteging in 1 is over done and really dark.

I think 2 and 3 are kind of out of focus and both need more contrast. Also, in my opinion (IMO) I preffer a more straight composition for such posing. If it was more fun like 2 maybe it would have worked.

Goodluck :)

Thank you! I won't be so nervous next time! I've seen people upload pics for critique and be ripped to shreds and I never see everything that is pointed out in other people's critiques,

Yes you are right - there is a shoulder in #4. It was taken a month or so ago and I completely forgot I cropped somebody out of it. Maybe i can clone the shoulder out ...? Another thing I figured would be said is that it is was too heavy on the skin smoothing (it was done prior to me lurking around here) so Im kinda proud of myself for noticing that!

I agree that #3 is slightly out of focus.

#2 was supposed to be a pic in the same area, but with them just front to front with their arms around each other, not acting like a couple of crazy people - but it is still a fun pic - very fitting of the couple!

#1 - I dont really understand what you mean by it's too dark - the vignette is too dark or the pic? If it's the vignette, i get it, but if not, I need to figure that out...

Thank you guys very much!
Kim

Hello and welcome to the forum... I like these photos overall, but I think they are a little soft, and I don't care for the vignetting on the 1st. Keep it up, I'm sure you are going to be just fine!

Most reactions

Back