C&C please

Blackjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took up photography as a serious hobby about five years ago. Since then I have attended several classes/seminars to learn more. I belong to a photography club where I have learned a lot. So, I'd like to know how I'm doing. Here is an example of what I consider to be one of my best landscapes. Tell me what you think. Thank you.

Tree and Rock by Blackjack1943, on Flickr

personally I think its a tad over saturated and too tightly cropped...it needs to breathe.

both are just personal tastes though.

I agree with pallycow on both points; i dig how sharp it is though all around. did you post process to increase the saturation, or was this an HDR stack? i just see the chromatic aberrations surrounding the rocks and it's a little distracting to me.

I can see your points, Pallycow. Now I can see that this photo is too tightly cropped, and perhaps too saturated.

20belowphotograp: No, it's not an HDR. I PP'd in Aperture 3. I don't know how I managed to get the chromatic aberrations that you mentioned, but they are certainly there.

Thank you both for responding. This is very helpful.

The over sat does not bug me as much as the tight crop. It's a vast open land...and I feel you could have left some room on it and still had the focal points of the image prominent. I am guilty of filling the frame with my subjects...since day 1. lol

I do see a bit of halo around the rock, so careful when adjusting shadows/highlights in pp for that.

A good example of enough negative space would be if that fallen tree in the foreground simply weren't there at all, but the crop was the same. That would feel airy and balanced enough to me, as a point of reference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back