C&C please

Full frame cameras really put a lens to work; if you don't want vignetting you will have to gets some very expensive glass.

Even the most expensive glass vignettes as well. Well...most of it. If you buy a fancy Zeiss prime then you might not get much vignetting wide open, but on any expensive zoom (and uber-bright f/1.2 primes) there seems to be a certain amount of vignetting that seems to be inevitable.

I typically don't mind it that much. Usually it's not noticeable enough to matter unless you're photographing a consistent color such as sky. I happen to like the vignetting of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 when its wide open.
My 135mm f/2 has vignetting that's just barely noticeable wide open. I try to stop it up to at least f/3 because it becomes even more insanely sharp at that point, and the vignette is no longer noticeable. Personally I'm not really bothered by a naturally occurring vignette; it's the ones added in post that I don't like, at least for my own work.

MOST lenses will show significantly MORE vignetting (light fall-off at the edges of the picture area) when the lenses are shot on a larger FF sensor than when they are used on a smaller, "crop-frame" sensor. So...that's pretty much par for the course. If the fall-off bothers a person, the "Enable Lens Correction" option in Lightroom usually will eliminate most of the vignetting in one click. Almost all fast 50mm lenses exhibit pretty significant vignetting on full-frame until the lens is stopped way down (like to say f/7.1 or even f/8). EXIF show f/1.6 on this shot, so...yeah...it is to be expected that there will be vignetting with that lens shot that wide-open.

Here is your answer as to what causes the vignetting :)

And fun pics btw. There is an air of nostalgia. May want to dim highlights on pic 2 ;-)

C&C please on these images. Thanks
1.View attachment 739092.View attachment 73910
I quite like the first image. The direction of the water, up from the lower left to right under the subjects face. His expression is great, and the overall composition really works for me. I'd love to see it with a slightly brightened yard, but not quite as much as the second image (getting pick nitty here ;) ). The second one has just about everything going for it but an engaged subject. The magic of the first one is really the water, and the way it leads you up to the wonderfully fun expression. This movement and expression is lacking in the second. I do quite love the light over the fence in the second image. You can really feel the warm light spilling over the fence in the second image, more so than the first. I think an amalgam of these two images would be down right irresistible. :) Either way some nice work, and reminds me I need to work on my kiddo picture skills. :blushing::confused:

The ground in the second is better, as discussed. Anything else I could offer would be nit-picky.

great stuff!

Full frame cameras really put a lens to work; if you don't want vignetting you will have to gets some very expensive glass.

Even the most expensive glass vignettes as well. Well...most of it. If you buy a fancy Zeiss prime then you might not get much vignetting wide open, but on any expensive zoom (and uber-bright f/1.2 primes) there seems to be a certain amount of vignetting that seems to be inevitable.

I typically don't mind it that much. Usually it's not noticeable enough to matter unless you're photographing a consistent color such as sky. I happen to like the vignetting of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 when its wide open.
My 135mm f/2 has vignetting that's just barely noticeable wide open. I try to stop it up to at least f/3 because it becomes even more insanely sharp at that point, and the vignette is no longer noticeable. Personally I'm not really bothered by a naturally occurring vignette; it's the ones added in post that I don't like, at least for my own work.

I think it's most prominent and some zooms and super bright and super wide primes. My 85mm f/1.8 has some vignetting wide open, but it's not NEARLY as pronounced as the 50mm f/1.4 or my 24mm at f/1.4

Weird... I would have sworn on a stack of Nikon manuals that a vignette had been applied to this!

With the size of the manuals they are handing out these days... that'd be a heck of a tall stack!

I really like the shot. Very stylized and I think it works. I tend to like photos like this. I think the contrast between the teal in the pool and the oranges in the sky add a lot of interest. To top it off theres a cute kid, great expression, and an interesting water pattern. You really captured a moment and that's how I see it rather than just a portrait. Good job.

Also as just a note by darkening the image and removing the effect from the subject you essentially created a vignette effect more or less. That coupled with the natural amount you get from your camera setup I think is what people are seeing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back