C&C plz! Concert and football game to test new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just upgraded from the f/4L IS to the new f/2.8L IS II and *loving* it so far. SUPERB IQ, incredibly fast focusing (the f/4 was fast...this is almost immediate), and one of the best IS systems I've ever experienced. Tested it out the night after I got it at a highschool football game (my old alma mater vs our rival school...which is the alma mater of most of my old friends). If you live in North-East Ohio you know that Brunswick and Strongsville are 2 of the best schools in the state for football and this game was definitely a good one. Brunswick ended up winning =)

Second was a concert the night after. It was dark, I was on the opposite end of the arena (around 80-90ft) and managed to get plenty of great shots. I was sitting at f/2.8 and ISO3200 the entire night (with a brief stint into ISO6400 and ISO1600 at different spots), but the pictures still came out fairly well, I think.

1)
5086576215_8c27d89c24_b.jpg

2)
5089967411_665c337177_b.jpg

3)
5089984555_3ef5334aca_b.jpg

4)
5090585958_9b5cf06c21_b.jpg

BTW pretty heavy crops on #2 and #3. #1 and #4 has no cropping at all and very little PP. I'm pretty satisfied with the lens so far! Any thoughts on the pictures or the lens?

Good results. Sounds like this new Mark II model is really a winner. Everybody who has gotten his or her hands on one really raves about it.

I really like the referee shot.

Love the shots. Especially the look and feel of the last two. I'd say even your subjects in your shots agree it's a good buy. They're all giving it a hands up! :mrgreen:

Love the shots. Especially the look and feel of the last two. I'd say even your subjects in your shots agree it's a good buy. They're all giving it a hands up! :mrgreen:

LOL I didn't even realize that. I had about 100 shots from the concert and about 65 shots from the football game...weird that all the pics I chose were with their hands up =P

I loved the Ref shot best from the football set because it looked like he was signing "Rock On". It was right at the end of a game when Brunswick scored their final touchdown.

So any ideas on how these shots could be better? I was trying to get a higher vantage point for the concert...but there really was nowhere to go to get higher. I'm 6'3" so standing on a chair is a bad idea for the entire crowd behind me.

Most reactions

Back