C&C Rose - to color or not to color?

tibrunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.masoner.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
glass rose taken on a black shelf three exposures merged together HDR fashion then to B&W.

comments-suggestions?

should I try something differently?

rosebw.jpg

rosebwc.jpg

Not easy to distinguish as a rose. The B&W does not help. IMO

From your perception, if it is not a rose- what type of flower do you think it is?

I bought it from a store that was going out of business, who knows, maybe it isn't a rose after all?

So either way, whether it is, or is not a rose- how do the photos come across? Should I change something or what should I try for the future?

I think the problem [for me anyway] is it doesn't look like glass, if that makes sense. In the BW version, the wood grain of shelf puts me off and the reflections in the rose seem dull and lifeless....I feel the glass rose should come across as sparkling and clearer instead of muted as it seems. I'm not fond of the color version at all -sorry.

I thank you for your critique and I completely agree about the lifelessness. For some reason when I merged the three images it gave everything a drastic yellow contrast which I believe is a little bit of what is showing through the bug of the rose.

I will post up one of the originals to show the shimmer of the class.

What is it with the colored image that puts you off? Is it the colors themselves, the amount/ density, or something else?

What is it with the colored image that puts you off? Is it the colors themselves, the amount/ density, or something else?

It's basically the same thing as I said with the BW only the color makes it more obvious. I'd try shooting the rose on a different background, something of a solid color and perhaps put the rose at a different angle so the flower is at an upper portion of the frame. If you want the rose red, try shooting it against a red background.

I think the background is the problem. The rose looks delicate and the dark background is overpowering it. I think it would look good if you could get some light shining through to bring out the colours and make the glass shimmer.

Here is one of the original photos, I had no idea how much yellow tone was in the shelf until this experiment.

I will attempt this again soon with a different orientation as well as a new backdrop.

dsc00145cw.jpg

Most reactions

Back