What's new

C&C - Waiting in Line

You called this "Waiting in Line". However, I cannot help but notice that almost half of the photo is the ferris (beuller) wheel in the background. Would have a landscape orientation worked better with the story of waiting in line? Just my two-and-a-half dollars (two cents after inflation).
 
I think this is just terrific.
The Edwin Hopper look.
I would crop from the top right (and make certain the vertical is correct) so that the entire Ferris wheel doesn't distract.
Viewers know its there and just the amount seeable is enough.
Burn down as much as you can so that the attention is on the ticket booth and the people in front.

Just love this.

8239910849_a22b516cac_klllllll2222.jpg
 
thetrue said:
ISO 4000, whew! Nice photo though. Did you shoot from the hip, or are you 4'9"? :)

It was dark, I probably could have gotten away with 3200

I was kneeling down actually :sexywink:
 
AgentDrex said:
You called this "Waiting in Line". However, I cannot help but notice that almost half of the photo is the ferris (beuller) wheel in the background. Would have a landscape orientation worked better with the story of waiting in line? Just my two-and-a-half dollars (two cents after inflation).

I'm terrible at finding titles for things lol. I was trying to show the environment more than anything, people at a carnival waiting to get their ticket. The waiting line wasn't so important as the setting and the spirit of the event.
 
The_Traveler said:
I think this is just terrific.
The Edwin Hopper look.
I would crop from the top right (and make certain the vertical is correct) so that the entire Ferris wheel doesn't distract.
Viewers know its there and just the amount seeable is enough.
Burn down as much as you can so that the attention is on the ticket booth and the people in front.

Just love this.

I like this crop a lot, I do agree that I left too much of the ferris wheel in frame. Thanks for the tip!
 
Took this at a little carnival downtown tonight, feedback is appreciated!

Although the ferris wheel lights add interest, The_Traveler's crop has improved the shot. Now go back and re-shoot the wheel.
 
I definitely prefer the original to the crop – viewers know that the ferris wheel is there because they've already seen the original, otherwise it's just a faint hint up there in my opinion. Some judicious dodging/burning should be enough to make the kiosk/people the subject and send the wheel to the background where it belongs. Unfortunately, the file is too small and the resolution too low to show what I mean.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom