C&C

I think many times that photos get no comments and the reason is that it is too ambiguous how to approach it.
A single line about what the OP is trying to show, the felling, the idea, will give the viewer somewhere too start.

Telling someone that you're not a pro is, I think, is self-defeating and doesn't help the poster.
Your comments speak for themselves.
If they make sense, it doesn't matter how experienced or smart you are.
If the picture doesn't strike you, the OP should know why and, if he/she is lucky, get an idea how to improve.
The OP should be open to whatever response you give.

Here's another thing almost relevant to the discussion. What should I do about a photograph that was given to me as a gift? My son gave me a framed photograph of his family which was taken by a "professional'' in a studio.

The people's faces were "adjusted" to be completely unrealistic. It looked as if everybody had a really bad sunburn. It was converted to B&W, but that only served to enhance the dark splotchy appearance on their faces.

If the photographer had shown me proofs and wanted to be paid for the shot, I would not have been able to keep my opinions to myself, but in the case of receiving this as a gift, I can't very well criticize my son for the lousy photograph, and for me to march into the photographer's studio and demand that he make appropriate corrections would be out of place.

I even thought of scanning it and trying to make corrections myself, but I delude myself in thinking that it can be saved.

Here's another thing almost relevant to the discussion. What should I do about a photograph that was given to me as a gift? My son gave me a framed photograph of his family which was taken by a "professional'' in a studio.

The people's faces were "adjusted" to be completely unrealistic. It looked as if everybody had a really bad sunburn. It was converted to B&W, but that only served to enhance the dark splotchy appearance on their faces.

If the photographer had shown me proofs and wanted to be paid for the shot, I would not have been able to keep my opinions to myself, but in the case of receiving this as a gift, I can't very well criticize my son for the lousy photograph, and for me to march into the photographer's studio and demand that he make appropriate corrections would be out of place.

I even thought of scanning it and trying to make corrections myself, but I delude myself in thinking that it can be saved.

It's a gift.
Keep it as it is and keep quiet, if only for your son's sake.

As a beginner, I have leaned a lot from the C&C provided by members here - on my images and from comments on others images.

Comments on my own photos have shown me my weak spots and a place to begin my reading/learning. There are SO many aspects of photography and SO many components that come together to make a good photo that it's hard to know what to really hone in on first. The trend of comments from my posted photos have shown that (1) I tend to underexpose, so that is something I pay very close attention to now, and (2) I don't know nearly enough about proper lighting or lighting in general. I just purchased my first book focusing on that, which I probably wouldn't done without the C&C received here.

I don't comment much on others photos, because I don't know that my input would be all that valuable. However, I do look and critique them for myself, and then check back and see what others have said. It has taught me how to critically look at a photo and how to see certain things that I didn't before.

Overall, I clearly love C&C :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote "If you cannot take critiques that are negative I suggest you quit photography and possibly life"

I disagree. Critiques need not be negative, they should be helpful and give a specific area for improvement. "Nice shot" is no more a critique than "horrible shot, sell your camera".

What I'm looking for when I ask for critique are ways to improve my photography, though I'm fully aware
there will often be differing opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011

My sister-in-law has a friend who has a Canon EOS 1Dx and a 70-200 L IS USM II. He uses my niece as a model. A picture he posted, and advertised, used a flash (non-gelled) on her face at sunset. Drastically different white balances. He also took Christmas pictures of my niece with Santa...who had a yellow beard. It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes.

Regardless, I see your point. I do see people who have put in countless hours in improving their photography and learning the craft, who have no formal training who are excellent photographers and successful business persons. Granted, this example is probably few and far between. I guess the point I get at is more or less offering C&C from the standpoint of "my photography is better than your's, therefore I can judge." It's counter-productive...and it's especially weird to see when I just scan the forums and I'm like a fly on the wall. If I do see it, I offer what I can as far as positive criticism. Positive reinforcement can usually go a long way. I don't offer expertise in areas I'm not familiar with.

honeslty people couldn't sell those pictures could they? Those pictures are horrible on fauxtographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back