C41 BW

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, let's say I shot a roll of c41 black and white... Not true black and white film. Could I send the negatives to be developed in c41 and then use those negatives to print in my b/w darkroom at home?

I love printing and hate developing the film. I realize some people might find that silly.

Ive done plenty of B&W prints from color negatives. No problem there. Much longer exposure times though. What film are you using? The Kodak bw400cn? If so it does get developed like normal C41 rolls, then print to your hearts content

It is b&w film. It just uses a different developing process that is shared with most color negative film. Just because it doesn't use Rodinol or DD-X or similar doesn't mean it's not b&w film. What would you call it if you developed it in coffee?

I love printing and hate developing the film. I realize some people might find that silly.
Not silly. Or... maybe. Creating good b&w print needs good negative development. No one gonna do it better, than you. And why you "hate" it in the first place ?

Not silly. Or... maybe. Creating good b&w print needs good negative development. No one gonna do it better, than you. And why you "hate" it in the first place ?
Watching a print come up feels like magic. Timing chemicals in a canister feels like work. Plus I curse like a drunk sailor when I'm loading the reel.

Watching a print come up feels like magic. Timing chemicals in a canister feels like work. Plus I curse like a drunk sailor when I'm loading the reel.

You don't feel anticipation as you unroll the developed negatives and see if what you see is what you saw? I love that part.

I didn't care for the developing that much either, all that measuring and tapping and timing. Mostly I was using a darkroom at a local university (which since closed) and my time was limited because, I had to work for a living! lol That and trying to use it when those pesky students weren't around (end of the semester was the time to avoid!).

How long an exposure time does it take to make B&W prints from those C41 negs to do it yourself? I haven't used any of that film in ages and probably only tried it a couple of times, but I'm thinking the negs looked quite different.

I know you could make B&W prints from color negs if you used Panalure which isn't made anymore and tungsten/fluorescent light. So I'm just wondering how this film compares .

I just like to use standard B&W film to have good quality negs to work from, and that will be archival and last indefinitely. Color can shift so I'd wonder about the B&W C41.

Now I send film out, The Darkroom in San Clemente, or there's Blue Moon in Portland, or Dwayne's in Kansas.

Sparky is right, sounds like fun, the drunken part. Maybe couple shots before "the work" would help ?
In any case unusual situation. The opposite is much, much more common.

Ok, let's say I shot a roll of c41 black and white... Not true black and white film. Could I send the negatives to be developed in c41 and then use those negatives to print in my b/w darkroom at home?

Kodak's discontinued B&W C-41 process film (BW400CN) had an orange mask and was intended to be printed on color paper in 1-hour labs along with color films. Ilford's XP2 does not have the mask, and is intended to be printed on B&W paper.

Last edited:
I did search but didn't get to Illford... I got a bunch of Reddit and Yahoo Answers from seemingly not bright people. Maybe I should use a different search engine. But to be fair... I asked because there was some Kodak on clearance at Kmart.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back