Cable issue? Graphics card?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I have a Lenovo T420i laptop with Nvdia NVS4200M graphics card. My laptop uses displayport for video output, so I bought a displayport to HDMI cable to plug it to a View Sonic VX2270 IPS monitor. The screen shows weird color pix like below, especially when viewing webpages. It also shows up when I am doing CAD work and on photoshop too. When I use regular VGA cable at lower res, it doesn't show up.

I asked the store I bought it from, and the guy updated the drivers for my laptop and graphics card. However the problem still persists and he suggest it's the cable that I am using. Well, displayport to HDMI isn't a common cable to begin with, so I really don't know how to choose which is "good" without testing it.

Refund policy doesn't work here like it does in the states, so I'd prefer to get one that I don't need to return.

So first of all, do you guys know what may be the cause of this weird color pixs?

If it's the cable, is there any specific cable, or properties that you will recommend? Thanks!

Typically I have seen artifacts like these to be connection issues. I agree its most likely the cable that is the problem but there is a small chance that its the port either on the laptop or monitor that could be the problem. This is more unlikely but still a possibility.

Can you borrow a cable from someone just to test? That would save you buying another.

On a second note, if I can actually screen cap those weird color pixs, it shouldn't be simply be the cable, right?

^^ Yes exactly.

It's not like the video card sends an image to the monitor and when you do a screen capture it asks the monitor to send the image BACK to the computer. The screen capture is taken from the graphics card directly (whether a monitor is connected or not.)

It's definitely the graphics card.

HDMI and DisplayPort are finnikey beasts. If you have a dodgy cable it's quite likely that you'll lose picture instantly. I've never seen a monitor display a corrupted image as a result of a cable.

And the screenshot as others have said suggest it's nothing to do with the cable or the monitor.

My graphics card did something very similar when it was overheating.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back