What's new

cactus leaf semi-abstracts

KenC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
5,699
Reaction score
1,472
Location
Philadelphia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Three from the past week or so which don't seem to have titles yet.


leafedge061312-3.jpg




leafedge062012.jpg




leafedge061312-2.jpg
 
Cactus don't have leaves they are considered stems.

#3 is the best but there is not a lot to it.
 
I really like that first one!

The third one, imo, has potential but isn't quite "there" yet. In my completely uneducated opinion, I wonder if it would look better without that first stem/leaf/red part at the bottom. I think the problem I'm having is that bottom part is so crisp and clear that somehow it doesn't look like it belongs with the rest of the photo.
I'd experiment with that third one--cropping out the bottom leaf, maybe rotation the photo a bit so the curves are at an angle.

Or, it could just be me and everyone else might like that one best!

The first one--yeah, I'd print that!
 
All are nice, but I prefer the first shot becasue it has an over all softness about it - the colors are softer and I find that more appealing in photos like this.
 
Wow for the first. Then comes the third- i think u are evolving in yr style. :D
 
Cactus don't have leaves they are considered stems.

#3 is the best but there is not a lot to it.

Thank you! I was pretty sure "leaf" was not correct, but didn't know what else to call it (botanically challenged).

As for #3, I was trying to make something that had "not a lot to it" but I think I meant it differently than you did. Thanks for looking.
 
I really like that first one!

The third one, imo, has potential but isn't quite "there" yet. In my completely uneducated opinion, I wonder if it would look better without that first stem/leaf/red part at the bottom. I think the problem I'm having is that bottom part is so crisp and clear that somehow it doesn't look like it belongs with the rest of the photo.
I'd experiment with that third one--cropping out the bottom leaf, maybe rotation the photo a bit so the curves are at an angle.

Or, it could just be me and everyone else might like that one best!

The first one--yeah, I'd print that!

Thanks! On the third one, for me it is mostly about the (partially) sharp stem in the foreground echoed by the soft one in the distance (about an inch, I think). It doesn't seem to be working for others though, so I'll reconsider it. Rotating it is an interesting idea that hadn't occurred to me, so perhaps I'll give that a try.

Thanks to everyone else as well.
 
I like the third one the best; I like how the dip in the lower stem (thanks digital flower!) is mirrored very slightly in the stem above. The rotating idea is neat, or, did you happen to shoot that horizontally? I could see a horizontal version having a "mountain landscape" feel which could be interesting too.
 
I agree - shoot in a landscape orientation and then from a little lower angle to bring the lines together. You will lose a little bit of the color differentiation between the two edges, but I think it will actually pull everything together better.

Number one is a great shot and use of dof.
 
Thanks BlackSheep, unpopular and deeky! When I was shooting the third I decided against horizontal for some reason that eludes me now - perhaps just the shape of the stems (more or less circular) and the fact that I was about as close as I could get with the 100 macro. I did have extension tubes with me, but didn't resort to that - next time! I considered cropping the top to make it close to square, but I liked the way the green faded to black at the top. Interesting that no one commented on the second one, which I like as much as the others. I guess you never know with this sort of thing.
 
Gorgeous DOF on the first one but I'm with Blacksheep on #3 I like it the best, the fading of the colour and focus falling off are great :) I hope you revisit the concept, would love to see what you come up with!
 
Gorgeous DOF on the first one but I'm with Blacksheep on #3 I like it the best, the fading of the colour and focus falling off are great :) I hope you revisit the concept, would love to see what you come up with!

Thanks! I'm going to an arboretum tomorrow. I don't think there will be any cacti, but I'll see what I can do with the other plants.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom