Calibrated my monitor decided I need an IPS

jhodges10

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can't decide if I'm glad I found TPF or annoyed at all the money I've been spending on equipment I didn't even know existed a couple of months ago. That being said I bought a Spyder 4 Elite and calibrated the non IPS monitor I've been using and it looks like crap. It's basically a 24" Dynex LCD tv that I'd been using as a monitor. My question is what am I looking for in an IPS monitor? I'm budgeting between $500-$1000 but aside from IPS I don't know what specs I should be paying attention to. I prefer to get the most bang for my buck as I'd like to buy some other equipment I'm missing out on as well. Any monitor related suggestions are welcome. These are a couple I'm looking at but other than price and size I don't know what I should be looking for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...W_BK_24_Widescreen_Professional_Graphics.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...w_bk_23_Widescreen_Professional_Graphics.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/830827-REG/Eizo_FS2332_BK_EPX_FORIS_FS2332_23_LED_Backlit.html

It's a common complaint from folks who've calibrated their monitor for the very first time that it looks like crap. That's because your eyes and brain have gotten use to it looking a certain way, and now that it's corrected, you have to get used to it all over again, and it can be a bit jarring.

If your calibration device (Spyder) is working correctly (and it likely is), you might want to give it a little time for your eyes and brain to adjust before writing it off.

Of course, if you have the budget, a nice IPS monitor is a great thing to have, so I'm not saying don't get one. By all means, if you have the finances, go for it. Just noting that it might look just as crappy to you at first - until you've adjusted to it.

Don't be discouraged by the initial look of your newly calibrated monitor, is all I'm saying.

Thanks Buckster, duly noted. I'll give it some time and see if I still feel the need to replace. One thing that I understand he IPS would fix, at least to some extent, is the viewing angle which I think is what bothers me more than the change in color. I can really see a difference between looking dead on and looking from even a slight angle.

Yes, the viewing angle is much, much better with an IPS panel.

Other than IPS panels the other thing to look for would be an internal colour lookup table. The reason being is if a monitor doesn't have a colour lookup table then the act of calibrating it will cause the output of the video card to be adjusted limiting the number of colours it can display to less than the 16.7million you would want. Both NEC's feature a 14bit lookup table. Not sure about the Eizo.

The other thing of personal relevance may be the aspect ratio. My opinion monitors are getting thinner, our documents are vertical, 16:9 is a really crap aspect ratio for anything other than watching movies and I can't stand them. The NECs are 16:10. That Eizo is 16:9, so if you care about that maybe look at Eizo's lineup for a monitor with more vertical resolution than the screens of 1998

Most reactions

New Topics

Back