Calibrating a Monitor..

afliegs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some recommendations on calibrating my monitor. I have a ViewSonic vx2439wm. It's an LCD monitor.

Currently I hook up this monitor to my laptop (which is a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite). The two monitors look completely different. I know it's a problem mainly from my laptop, but I wanted to 1. Get my external screen correctly calibrated. 2. Try to match up the laptop and the external monitor if possible.

What tools do you use for calibration?

Thanks!

Spyder 2

Laptop monitors are great for battery consumption but generally not ideal for your purpose. Get a good quality external monitor and calibration unit.

Spyder3 Pro here. You can use the Spyder3 Express as well. i1D2 or i1DPro, Color Munki, Pantone Huey...

I actually have a Spyder 2 that I may throw on ebay soon for pretty cheap...they supposedly don't work well on LED screens so I had to upgrade to a Spyder 3. Let me know if you have any interest.

GooniesNeverSayDie11 said:
I actually have a Spyder 2 that I may throw on ebay soon for pretty cheap...they supposedly don't work well on LED screens so I had to upgrade to a Spyder 3. Let me know if you have any interest.

I'll buy the spyder 2!!

Looks like the Spyder 3 Pro may be the way to go for me. The Spyder 3 express looks like it wouldn't work with a dual monitor setup and browsing around it looks like there are some bad reviews about the huey. The others are a little too expensive.

The spyder 3 pro looks like it has a $20 rebate right now which is a bonus.

I use spyder 3 pro for my dual monitor setup... it works great, easy to use. I recommend.

There are several types of LCD displays.

The el cheapos are the TN (Twisted Nematic) type displays that have very narrow accurate viewing angles making them the least desireable type for image editing. Because of the narrow accurate viewing angles, calibrating them is essentially a waste of time.

Next up in accuarcy and desireability are the PVA (Parallel Vertical Alignment) type displays, but not to many of them are made.

The cat's ass for image editing is the IPS (In-Plane Switching) type displays, but they generally cost at least 2 times as much as the same size TN display. Top-of-the-line IPS displays cost several thousand $$$$'s.

Many print labs recommend the X-RITE brand of calibration devices and software.

To calibrate a display you only need a colorimeter. To calibrate/profile a printer, scanner, or projector as awell as a computer display, you need a spectrophotometer,

Last edited:
Ive got 2 ips lcd monitor calibrated with a color munki. i got those monitors on sale ar around 250$ each for 23 inchs. they get the job done.

Most reactions

Back