Calibration headache...

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yeah, no idea where to put this-normal for me! And this will probably have TMI because wine is a wonderful thing.
:)

So... I am having a calibration issue on one computer.
My problem is...
I have lost the keycode for my spyder3 I use on the big computer so I can't install it on this one. This one had the spyder2 on it, so... I went to use it. WON'T WORK. I get an error every time I select the spyder2 color meter no matter what I do. I have uninstalled and re-installed. I have un-installed and cleaned off everything to do with it-reinstalled. Nope. I un-installed, shut down, re-started, clean-up, shut down, re-start, did a disk cleanup, defrag, and THEN re-installed.
I never get the screen asking for my serial # no matter what I do???
OK, so I give up. But I need this monitor to be in reasonable calibration... It doesn't have to be PERFECT!!!

So, I found dispcalGUI which uses the spyder2 and does all of this wonderful calibration stuff. More calibration stuff than I have a clue about. It's so in-depth that depending on what you choose in the calibration menus it takes a couple of hours to calibrate. I just need to know WHAT part of these choices I NEED to use to be in reasonable range? OR tell me how to get the spyder completely GONE so I can re-install it and just use the dang thing?
So... has anyone used this EVER and can ANYONE (Keith?) help me???

I use dispcalGUI. What are you having problems with?

Argyll is a dependency of dispcalGUI (you have to have Argyll CMS for dispcalGUI to work).

Post screen shots.

dispcalGUI - yes, if you max all of the settings out, it will take an hour or two to calibrate (it will take a few thousand sample readings before it creates a profile). The max setting isn't always needed though.

I use dispcalGUI. What are you having problems with?

Argyll is a dependency of dispcalGUI (you have to have Argyll CMS for dispcalGUI to work).

Post screen shots.

It's working just fine. I have the Argyll drivers installed, no problem.
It's just all of these darned things I can choose and set and screw up!! If there is a way to screw it up I will.
When you re-calibrate which calibration do you do? There are WAYYYYY to many things I can choose from at the bottom of that window there!

Tony-Tonight is Fulkerson's Red Zeppelin. It's one of my favorites!

Josh-Maybe I should just max it out and let it go when I go to bed tonight?
After that... then what do you use when you want to re-calibrate?

MLeeK said:
yeah, no idea where to put this-normal for me! And this will probably have TMI because wine is a wonderful thing.

My problem is...
I have lost the keycode for my spyder3 I use on the big computer so I can't install it on this one. This one had the spyder2 on it, so... I went to use it. WON'T WORK. I get an error every time I select the spyder2 color meter no matter what I do. I have uninstalled and re-installed. I have un-installed and cleaned off everything to do with it-reinstalled. Nope. I un-installed, shut down, re-started, clean-up, shut down, re-start, did a disk cleanup, defrag, and THEN re-installed.
OK, so I give up. But I need this monitor to be in reasonable calibration... It doesn't have to be PERFECT!!!

So, I found dispcalGUI which uses the spyder2 and does all of this wonderful calibration stuff. More calibration stuff than I have a clue about. It's so in-depth that depending on what you choose in the calibration menus it takes a couple of hours to calibrate. I just need to know WHAT part of these choices I NEED to use to be in reasonable range? OR tell me how to get the spyder completely GONE so I can re-install it and just use the dang thing?

Would it not recognize the color meter for the spyder2? I had the same issue with mine. There was a software update, or something, that I had to download. After that it worked. I don't know if its the same issue - but thought I'd mention it.

Make sure your screen saver is disabled if you do that. I would wait to do it till you can actually watch it though, just in case an error or something comes up. Plus, you'll have to apply the new profile once it's created.

I do it at the max settings, and it usually takes over an hour.

I rarely have to recalibrate (maybe due to calibrating at the max settings?)... You can go in and re-measure the ambient light and have it adjust to that (recalibration not necessary for that).

I typically only recalibrate when I upgrade the OS (fresh install - which would be every 6 months or so). I've had monitors that needed weekly calibration, but this one seems very stable. If you have a monitor that tends to drift, you may need to do it more often.

As far as all the settings go - if you don't know what they *should* be, don't change them. The defaults are most likely right unless you know what needs to be what.

edit

I have to mention, dispcalGUI seems to be much better than what came with my color meter, BTW. Not to mention that it's open source and free... It takes a long time, but in the end you get a more accurate profile, IMO.

See, I recalibrate often. I have a window to my back and as the seasons change I do see a difference in things. Plus this is my internet computer so I worry about it. The monitor is a cheap off brand and frankly, I am not comfortable with leaving my calibration go for more than a couple of weeks because of changes, etc.

In the drop down menu at the bottom... which calibration?

MLeeK said:

My problem is...

Would it not recognize the color meter for the spyder2? I had the same issue with mine. There was a software update, or something, that I had to download. After that it worked. I don't know if its the same issue - but thought I'd mention it.

I have no problem with dispal recognizing and running the spyder2. That's great. I just am overwhelmed by all of the options to do all kinds of great things with this...

There are WAYYYYY to many things I can choose from at the bottom of that window there!
Post a screen shot of that if you can (the menus, and the options you can choose). I run Linux, so it might look a little different to me.

MLeeK said:
I have no problem with dispal recognizing and running the spyder2. That's great. I just am overwhelmed by all of the options to do all kinds of great things with this...

Oh no - I meant in the beginning when you were trying to use the spyder2 program. Maybe I misread what you wrote.....

Thanks for this thread though. My calibration with the spyder2 was way off (I think I PM'd you about it a long time ago). I ended up giving up and just going back to the way my screen was originally. I think I'm going to attempt what you are doing - if I feel comfortable enough. So thanks!!!

I just am overwhelmed by all of the options to do all kinds of great things with this...
It's kind of nice in a way... It can do way more than the software that shipped with the unit. *wink wink* I never looked back once I discovered dispcalGUI.

I just am overwhelmed by all of the options to do all kinds of great things with this...
It's kind of nice in a way... It can do way more than the software that shipped with the unit. *wink wink* I never looked back once I discovered dispcalGUI.
That's what lead me to this... someone else said it was a hundred times better than the software that came with!
Thing is... it's only better if I can't screw it up... I am a pro at screwing things up.

Post a screen shot of the menu where you have to pick an option. I have to go to bed soon, and I have to work tomorrow, so I might not be able to reply till arond 7:30PM Central time (tomorrow). If you don't get it figured out by then. I will help you through it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back