Calibration tools

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have tried two different Spyder calibration tools in the past (I got a "better" one after having issues with my first one... but only with the same results). I had no end of problems. The two main ones were that I would run a calibration and the whole screen would go the wrong color (like a red tint or one time a green tint). I would have to calibrate repeatedly at times with all the curtains closed and all the lights set on dim, just to get a normal looking screen. The second main issue (that I assume came from calibration) is that it seemed to do something to my computer itself.... when I would view things on the monitor it would suddenly "jump brighter" I would than be working with it and things seemed normal (but perhaps slowly going dimmer again?) and than jump brighter again.

When I got my new computer I kept my monitor and have not used a calibrator system since. However I am moving from offering digital and into offering prints and my prints are coming back abit off with vibrancy and exposure, so I will need to calibrate. I am looking at the Color Munki Display since WHCC recommends it.

I guess I just don't understand... if I calibrate how does WHCC have the exact same color profile?

And how do I avoid the issues I had last time? I feel very leery to try this on my new computer after last time.

Perfect timing! I had similar problems with my Spyder device(s), so I'll be interested in the response you get.

I can't help with your problematic calibration issues but I can with the printing issue.

When you calibrate your monitor you have to remember the image is backlit by the computer and in print it isn't. This is perfect for online viewing but once you want to print, the images requires some changes. You have to adjust images for print or recalibrate your monitor for print prior to sending for or printing your self.

As to the display giving brighter or darker images: A person can have the monitor brightness set to adjust automatically, in which case the monitors brightness is very sensitive to room lighting levels. If you un-click adjust brightness automatically,then your brightness should stay the same no matter how bright or dark the lighting is in the room.

Perfect timing! I had similar problems with my Spyder device(s), so I'll be interested in the response you get.

Interesting. I have never heard of these problems before I had them. Did you have both these issues?

I have run into the same problems, if I adjusted for print then my projector image would be wrong adjust the other way then the print would be wrong. Adjusted for print now as I am using print shop for big prints gen found that my projector images had to be half to 1 stop darker does not help that I have changed inks, my local,ish ink shop closed now I have blacks that more green than black. Ok they are 3rd party so we’re the previous ones time to think again or change printer as current on is not win 10 compatible

Interesting. I have never heard of these problems before I had them. Did you have both these issues?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did, though I should add that I'm working off a laptop, so there's no separate monitor.

About 10 years ago a Google search on the term prints are too dark would return around 50,000 hits.Printsthat look too dark... it's an extremely common problem

Last edited:
About 10 years ago a Google search on the term prints are too dark we turn around 50,000 hits.Prince that look too dark it's an extremely common problem

The problem isn't that the prints are too dark. That can be fixed by adjusting the brightness of the monitor. It is that once I calibrated with Spyder my screen would "jump bright". I think it slowly would dim and "jump bright" over and over... about once every 10 minutes or so. I upgraded to a newer Spyder (because of this and the other issues) and the jump bright never went away so I uninstalled all Spyder software but it continued to happen. It seemed to do something to my software. I have a new computer tower now and am uncertain about calibrating my monitor on it. Given my other issues (such as the consistent inconsistent calibrations from the same calibration unit), I am uncertain as it if this is a good thing to do or not.

I've got a Spyder4 and have not had a bit of trouble with it.

But I have also had to make adjustments for prints coming out a little dark.

What screen are you using?

It does sound like something funky is going on but I've calibrated 5 or 6 screens now with spyder and it does the job. Even my laptop screen on my works computer got calibrated and it seems fine.

At first when I calibrated everything looked too red/yellow, but your eyes normalise to it after a time and I've realised my screens were too green/blue.

Calibration isn't perfect though, I have two monitors side by side at work and they are ever so slightly off.

With prints I do a test print first, basically the cheapest the lab does and if it's a critical one I'll print it full size then fix any issues I see with that before getting a mounted print. I suppose that's not practical if you are doing a lot though, but my lab do sample prints where you can a have a few printed smaller at a cut price, could identify trends from that and adjust. I'll also soft proof if I'm printing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back