California Wildflower Mania

Yep here in NC we have a wildflower program that plants sunflowers, (among others), in the spaces in the middle of highway on/off ramps. When in full bloom the people parked on the side of the highway and walking out in the middle getting pics is sometimes disturbing.

Even commercial photogs are doing portraits in them. Admittedly I have thought about doing some of my grandchildren in a patch near me. :happyblush:

Yep here in NC we have a wildflower program that plants sunflowers, (among others), in the spaces in the middle of highway on/off ramps. When in full bloom the people parked on the side of the highway and walking out in the middle getting pics is sometimes disturbing.

Even commercial photogs are doing portraits in them. Admittedly I have thought about doing some of my grandchildren in a patch near me. :happyblush:

It would be wonderful if these plantings were made in public parks, or by parking areas in national forests, so people could have other places to enjoy the beautiful sight.

It's hard to fault people for getting excited over these beautiful displays. The lack of restraint shows that they are popular. If they could somehow be more readily available people could have better options than highway medians. :icon_eek:

Lavender and sunflower farms around S. Ontario now work on a paid admission/timed entry basis. Crowds got too big, too aggressive, too damaging. Sunflowers no longer planted in roadside fields. Seems to work. Toronto residents mob several large city parks during cherry blossom season.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back