Calling all Texans!

LittleMan said:
Same here, it looks like the storm just turned north... strait into Houston. If anyone's heading this way we've got plenty of room.
Stay safe Spiralout, if my friend had his heli anymore I could have y'all airlifted out... but he doesn't have access anymore. :confused: Now that we need it! :confused:
Anyways, good luck.

Hehe, airlifting won't be necessary. The storm's (SUPPOSED to be) headed further east, so that's good news for us. Our house is boarded completely, and I think we'll be just fine. Oddly enough, we're one of only 4 houses in our subdivision that I've seen boarded up. Better safe than sorry. :D

spiralout said:
Thanks for the good vibes. *hugs* I live in Sugar Land,

Will you go over to my Dad's house and kick some sense into him....???

Grew up in Sugar Land but I now reside safely way up here in New Jersey. I was on the phone with my Dad for about an hour trying to convince him that he should just leave rather than ride out the storm at home. We at least discussed plans. Guest tub is full of water, Van is all packed up with two days of provisions, Mom ( RN in the med-center ) will be dropped off tonight to ride out the storm at the hospital... My wife's side of the family has already or in the process of leaving. Grandma is safely on a plane out of town. We've been through numerous hurricanes with no problems.. but this one has me worried.

Good news is that the storm has shifted further east and has been downgraded... hope it continues to weaken.

Good luck to all of Houston and coastal regions.. stay safe spiralout.

Hertz van Rental said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4269994.stm
Only slightly weakened - still stronger than Katrina. But let's keep our fingers crossed.
NOAA has some pictures of it - constantly updated (with video clips).
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/g8severe.html

Last I had heard it only weakend because it has hit a cooler patch of water. They were expecting it to go back to a cat 5 when it hits warmer water. A bunch of the filling stations around here are starting to run out of gasoline, mainly the ones close to the highways.

By the way I'm in the DFW area as well. About 310 miles north of all the action.

steve817 said:
Last I had heard it only weakend because it has hit a cooler patch of water. They were expecting it to go back to a cat 5 when it hits warmer water. A bunch of the filling stations around here are starting to run out of gasoline, mainly the ones close to the highways.

By the way I'm in the DFW area as well. About 310 miles north of all the action.

I stopped at Walmart on the way home from school. There was a run on bottled water and flashlights. Everyone was trying run each other over. It was crazy!!!!

We're only 'civilized' as long as we feel safe - yet there are some people who still insist we aren't animals. They could be right. No animal would behave in the way some people do when they think they might be in danger.

Hey all! As Robert mentioned I live in Houston and I was in a mandatory evacuation zone so I definitely had to leave.

It took me 15 hours to get to my mother's house in deep south Texas. The drive is normally 7 hours. The other 8 hours were spent traveling 16 miles, so 2 miles an hour. My cat was not happy.

But I am a lucky one. My Toyota Camry held up like a trooper and so I was never worried about gas because I filled up Wednesday morning. I was worried about the car overheating because if that happened, I don't know what I would have done. I really don't know much when it comes to cars.

Sorry I haven't checked in earlier, but I have been watching the news and occasionally.... yes.... taking pictures in my mother's back yard. I'm not sure when I'm going to head back. It will depend on when schools go back in session.

Glad to hear you're alright, Laurie. :hug: I was wondering where you went.

We got really lucky over here. We got fairly weak winds and very little rain. The only setback was that our power was off for 6 hours or so, but they just got it back up about 30 minutes ago. I'm really glad we didn't evacuate now. I imagine it's going to be a horrible headache getting back over here... I hope it goes fairly smoothly for you. :D

Glad to hear people are okay, just looked on the news about it!! I hope it doesn't take long to get back to normal.
Any word from anyone else, like chase?

Most reactions

Back