Calumet 4x5

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I was given this camera by a family member and I know absolutely nothing about it, so I thought I'd ask for info. No matter what, you can't go wrong with being given a 4x5 cam!

Any info on it would be appreciated, it is made by Calumet.

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

I have one of these; what do you want to know. It's a great camera, although a bit heavy. But that weight is the reassurring weight of solid steel!

Score!!! That's a good one; I regularly drool over them on Ebay.

Many Ektars are refered to as Craptars, but the 203mm is somewhat legendary.

Did it come with anything else? Tripod? Film holders? Dark cloth?

The first thing you need to figure out is how to attach it to a tripod. So you'll need a very sturdy tripod, and a head with some sort of quick release plate. I was able to remove the screw handle that came with my quick release plate, and replace it with a flat head bolt that fit the camera base, thereby bolting the quick release plate to the camera.

Once it's up on the tripod you can at least start looking through it. Adjust the aperture to wide open. There is a "button" on the upper right side (if you are looking into the lens) of the lens. Push this to open the shutter. On some lenses the shutter must be cocked first.

You need a dark cloth; something to block out the light around you so you can see the ground glass. I use a home sewn darkcloth of heavy black fabric. My buddy uses a fairly lightproof sweat shirt that he puts on upsidedown; his head is in it, and the camera comes in from the bottom of the shirt.

Once you do this you can see the image on the ground glass. Focus by moving either standard. Stretched out is macro; infinity is close together. It's awesome to look at that huge ground glass and realize that you are seeing the film frame life size.

Get yourself a Polaroid back and some Pola film (check the Pola website for 4x5 sheet film options) for that trip. The current Pola back is the 545 I think; they are under $100 on ebay. I have a old #500 back, and it seems to work fine for me, but some folks claim they aren't compatable with modern Pola film; they run about $25. Works for me.

Start looking around for a place to process your film, or set up a darkroom.

Most reactions

Back