Camer Questions

JRauck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im 17 and don't know much about cameras, so I decided to come here and ask some photography experts.

I like photography and want to get into taking pictures and such more, but I don't have that great of a camera. I want to eventually be a professional photographer but make it a hobby instead of a career. Meaning I don't want to immediately come out and spend a thousand dollars on a camera. I would just like to work my way up to top Digital SLRs and such.

Saving up for a few hundred dollars isn't that big of a deal, I would just like to find the best bang for the buck. So if you guys wouldn't mind showing me what types of cameras I should buy I would be greatly appreciated.

BTW heres some photos I have taken that are on DA http://jrauck.deviantart.com/ few of these I didn't take though.

I would recommend a DSLR.
Here is a good comparison of entry level DSLR's.

Also it seems that most of your photo are landscapes so I would look at getting a wide angle lens for lanscape shots (the kit 18-55 lens maybe wide enough and good enough to start)

Is a dslr really necessary for taking amature photos?
Also would you recommend the kits that come with everything or getting stuff separate?

what do you mean everything? All you need is a camera and a lens, my friend. Perhaps a tripod too, but that's something you would buy separate for sure...they're expensive for quality ones.

Is a dslr really necessary for taking amature photos?

No - there are lots of different ways to take pictures, from $20 film cameras to $20,000 (or more) digital setups. Heck, if you've got film and a box of matches, you can probably build a camera.

A DSLR is a popular option because it provides a lot of flexibility, room for growth, and because they usually take much better pictures than a point and shoot ever could. Depending on the types of pictures that you want to take, and the level of quality that you're looking for, you may or may not want to go that route. Many people feel that if you don't have at least an SLR, you're not a *cough* "serious" photographer - but others think that the guy developing his own slides from some antique film setup is a lot more serious than that -- so it's all up to what you want to do, what interests you, and what kind of scratch you've got on hand.

what do you mean everything? All you need is a camera and a lens, my friend. Perhaps a tripod too, but that's something you would buy separate for sure...they're expensive for quality ones.

Well I mean the battery charger and whatever else comes with them that is needed.

Also thanks guys... Is there any dslr or any other camera that anyone recommends?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back