Camera Advice For A Beginner (w/video)

Noah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First off, I'm a beginner. I have an XSi right now which has been a great camera for me so far. The thing is though, I go to a lot of shows (concerts). I would really like to have the feature of hd video as well. I've already had an offer on my camera and am strongly considering selling it so I can upgrade. I have the T1i in mind at the moment but have heard some bad things about the video quality. I've even had people tell me the XSi takes better photos. Being a beginner I'm clueless on what my best options are as far as cameras that do video. Can someone help me out a bit and clarify? Maybe give a few suggestions? Thanks.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say how much I'm willing to spend. I'm only 19, so I'm looking to spend around 750.

i have T1I and video not that bad when you shoot in 720p, and i have just kit lens, a 50mm 1.8 would improve quality or some other better lens....so you have two choices T2I or T1I,,, i think T2I is lil improve in video quality well what you want its a DSLR

Is the T2i worth spending the extra money opposed to getting the T1i?

If you can afford it, go for a 7D. Otherwise XSi to T1i or T2i is hardly an upgrade except for video.

If the only reason you are upgrading is to get video, why not get a separate video camera and keep the XSi? A dedicated video camera will beat the video in a DSLR in terms of overall versatility any day (although you don't get the interchangeable lenses and the specific characteristics of each lens).

Yeah... the video on the 5d Mk II is awesome. I used it to shoot an HD commercial this year. Both the 7D and 5D are out of your specified price range. As emh points out, you won't see much in terms of still image improvement. Either wait until you need/afford a better model or get a good separate piece of gear.

In order to get a better camera I have to sell my XSi... I also want the convenience of having both in one. I don't want to carry around a camera and video camera both when going to shows. The DSLR alone is enough. I don't care if the picture quality is the same as the T1i with the T2i, as long as the video quality is better.

In order to get a better camera I have to sell my XSi... I also want the convenience of having both in one. I don't want to carry around a camera and video camera both when going to shows. The DSLR alone is enough. I don't care if the picture quality is the same as the T1i with the T2i, as long as the video quality is better.

The video quality should be on par with the 7D as it is essentially the same sensor. Some of the stuff you give up with the T2i is build quality and frame rate of stills.

What you get in the T2i over the T1i:
- more choices on frame rates in video mode
- optional external mic vs built in mic
- higher frame rate on 1080p video

Just make sure that you have one hell of a system to process that 1080p video, or be prepared to exercise patience as your clips are rendered in you editing suite.

Noah
At 19 years old, I would consider the T1i. This is the lower cost of the cameras mentioned and a good buy for a couple of reasons.

1. you are young and have a long future in front of yourself.
2. you are young and may not have as much $$$
3. this camera is a good start, produces good results and you may be able to buy a better lens (50mm) to go with the camera.

As your experience grows, you knowledge will as well. In the future there will be time for you to determine if you want to upscale the camera body.

Was anyone else expecting a video of someone asking for advice, or was it just me?

Was anyone else expecting a video of someone asking for advice, or was it just me?

Ha! I can see why you would be expecting that... Although that would be quite strange. Thanks to those of you who gave me input! I think I know what I'm going to do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back