Camera advice.. Nikon or Canon?

anna.lopatina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This coming Friday I am going to Europe with a tour group. I'm super excited! For my class I have to create a photography portfolio; therefore, I need a good camera:) (preferably in the $350-550 range)

I don't know much about cameras.. but I'm GREAT with electronics and will definitely be able to learn quick so that wouldn't be a problem.

The two things I want my camera to have for sure are: a viewfinder(not electronic) and manual focus.. but still with an electronic screen. I love taking pictures of buildings and scenery. Also pictures people take at shows where the lights leave traces(no idea what it's called haha)

Today I had my hands on a Nikon D3100, was considering getting this but I haven't really compared it to anything else or had other suggestions from photographers/people. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU.

This coming Friday I am going to Europe with a tour group. I'm super excited! For my class I have to create a photography portfolio; therefore, I need a good camera:) (preferably in the $350-550 range)

I don't know much about cameras.. but I'm GREAT with electronics and will definitely be able to learn quick so that wouldn't be a problem.

The two things I want my camera to have for sure are: a viewfinder(not electronic) and manual focus.. but still with an electronic screen. I love taking pictures of buildings and scenery. Also pictures people take at shows where the lights leave traces(no idea what it's called haha)

Today I had my hands on a Nikon D3100, was considering getting this but I haven't really compared it to anything else or had other suggestions from photographers/people. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU.

I have a d3100 and I love mine. I compared it to the entry level canon (1100d i think?) and I preferred the nikon, which was also cheaper. The nikon also seems better in terms of specs I think. But the best thing for you to do is to go into a well known camera store and have a play with them both side by side.

There is no clear way to pick Nikon or Canon other than:

a> For your budget, which has better overall performance and the features you need.
b> Which do you personally like better.

Both have a variety of great options available, and occasionally one will leapfrog the other in things like ISO performance (doing a lot of low-light shooting without a flash?), megapixels, image quality, etc.

Lots of people will say "I have XXX and I love it" (no offense, David). Unfortunately these data points are essentially worthless. People are always going to be advocates of what they have. It's natural.

Find a model from each line that comes close to your requirements, then give them a try and see how you feel about them.

Sure thing.

And... cotton undies.

There is no clear way to pick Nikon or Canon other than:

a> For your budget, which has better overall performance and the features you need.
b> Which do you personally like better.

Both have a variety of great options available, and occasionally one will leapfrog the other in things like ISO performance (doing a lot of low-light shooting without a flash?), megapixels, image quality, etc.

Lots of people will say "I have XXX and I love it" (no offense, David). Unfortunately these data points are essentially worthless. People are always going to be advocates of what they have. It's natural.

Find a model from each line that comes close to your requirements, then give them a try and see how you feel about them.

Yeah true I may just have to go with my budget and the reviews I see. Thanks

THANK YOU.

I have a d3100 and I love mine. I compared it to the entry level canon (1100d i think?) and I preferred the nikon, which was also cheaper. The nikon also seems better in terms of specs I think. But the best thing for you to do is to go into a well known camera store and have a play with them both side by side.

I'm glad you love yours:) I will most likely end up getting it based on money and time.. Do you by chance know how to do the effect of photos where lights leave traces. A good example would be a picture of someone using an LED hulahoop..

No offense taken. I don't mean to be an advocate of Nikon over Canon at all. My point was more to stress this point exactly:

Which of course does depend on the buyer.

I'm glad you love yours:) I will most likely end up getting it based on money and time.. Do you by chance know how to do the effect of photos where lights leave traces. A good example would be a picture of someone using an LED hulahoop..

Do you mean like a longer exposure that captures the movement of the light? If so, just set a slower shutter speed, and probably use a tripod.

Do you mean like a longer exposure that captures the movement of the light? If so, just set a slower shutter speed, and probably use a tripod.

Yes that's what I meant. Awesome. Do you know how bad it is to use the camera if it's sprinkling outside (definitely not pouring rain).. because I read somewhere it's not water-sealed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back