Camera backpack advice......

Insp Gadget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.soulmatesphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for some advice on a new backpack. We shoot weddings and I carry 2 bodies, various lenses, laptop etc. I think with all this weight that a backpack would be idea to carry, but accessing all that gear would be a pain as I would have to take the backpack off each time.

Any suggestions on some kind of camera bag that would fit my work style?

Thanks!

The Lowepro Flipside series comes to mind for ease of use but I don't think they make one that accommodates a laptop.

The camera backpack idea is good in theory. It's great while walking through large,modern airports. It's great while hiking along a trail. But the moment you need to access the equipment, and change lenses, or get out a second body, the backpack idea falls flat on its face. Backpack=great for transporting gear, incredibly bad for working out of.

The conventional "camera bag" style camera bag lost favor once backpack and bag manufacturers realized they could market backpacks to the burgeoning crowds of photo enthusiasts, who would willingly pay $150-$390 for a backpack, instead of $50-$150 for a camera bag. The backpack style bag was influenced largely by media outlets and the profit motive; it looks so adventuresome, so cool, but is so,so big a PITA to actually work out of.

Some of the older bag makers like Domke, Tamrac, Billingham have what you need.

I've got several camera bags, including a Lowepro backpack style bag....and Derrel is right. Backpacks are great for transporting your gear but terrible for working out of.
The obvious problem is that you have to take it off to access your gear...but a bigger problem for me is where you put it when you do access it. My backpack is the type where the whole front unzips and folds open. So to fully open it, the straps are on the bottom. So what do I do when I'm in a location where the ground is really dirty and I need to access my gear? I don't want to put the straps in the mud so I struggle to get my gear without putting my bag down.

With a standard bag (rectangular shape, shoulder strap) the bottom is always the bottom. I can set the bag down in a mud puddle and only the bottom of the bag will get dirty. I can leave the top unzipped or fully open so that I can access my gear quickly and easily, whether the bag is on my shoulder or sitting somewhere.
Of course, caring a heavy bag on your shoulder all day is a PITA.

The sling style bags are a hybrid of shoulder bags and backpacks. I don't own one, but they look OK for some situations. I'm not sure if weddings is one of them though.

My preference has been to carry one or two bodies on me (without a bag) and just stash my bags somewhere. I carry memory cards & batteries in pockets so I don't need to run to my bag very often.

im a big fan of the crumpler $7million home. I just picked up a Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW for days where I need EVERYTHING and can lay out the bag in front of me and work out of it. THe Crumpler $7 and $8million homes are messenger bag style and hold a TON of stuff. You can easily whip it around your shoulder to work out of quickly, and change lenses, but its comfy enough with its big pads that I can carry it around tokyo for 14 hours straight

I was actually thinking about getting the Tamrac Velocity series. For some reason the link doesn't work for the page so go to http://tamrac.com/

I looked at it in person and it was really sweet. It's used as a backpack but can be worn on your side also. Plus it holds a camera, lenses and other stuff. It is pretty deep depending on what size you get.

Last edited:
Has anyone had experience with the Kata line of bags? I am especially interested in the KT D-3N1-30.

Kata Navigator

Im using the 3N1-20 and I like it a lot. In sling mode it's easy to swing the bag down and get what you need out of it. If I'm going to be walking a while or know I'm not going to be changing lenses, I use both shoulder straps and the waist strap and it's very comfortable.

I just bought the Tamrac Adventure 10 and I love it. It does have an access problem but as a lugger it is great, there is padded space for all your camera gear plus a large top compartment for tons of other stuff.

Has anyone had experience with the Kata line of bags? I am especially interested in the KT D-3N1-30.

Kata Navigator

Im using the 3N1-20 and I like it a lot. In sling mode it's easy to swing the bag down and get what you need out of it. If I'm going to be walking a while or know I'm not going to be changing lenses, I use both shoulder straps and the waist strap and it's very comfortable.

Can you give me an idea of how much stuff you can pack in it? Can it hold 2 bodies and accessories?

What ever you do dont get a slingshot bag (A bag with one shoulder strap). They are terrible, All the weight of your gear is on one of your shoulders after about 20mins your back starts to feel like there's 3 tons of bricks on your shoulder.

What ever you do dont get a slingshot bag (A bag with one shoulder strap). They are terrible, All the weight of your gear is on one of your shoulders after about 20mins your back starts to feel like there's 3 tons of bricks on your shoulder.

Seriously? I am ready to order one!! LOL

Kata Navigator

Can you give me an idea of how much stuff you can pack in it? Can it hold 2 bodies and accessories?

I can fit my D300 with 70-300VR attached, the other 3 lenses in my sig, and my SB900 in the top compartment, also my cell phone, P/S camera, AA batteries, and a few other misc things(TTL cord, mem cards etc). I haven't actually tried it but I'd venture to say that you could use the top compartment for a second body and squeeze your speedlight(if you're bringing one along) in somewhere else.

If you're concerned about room you can always go with the 30 which is bigger. I guess it depends on what you're wanting to carry.

Also the Kata can be a sling or backpack, I have hung it on my shoulder in sling mode for more than a couple hours several times, and it really doesn't bother me at all.

you've got it set up wrong then, the bag should still rest on your hip and take the weight off your shoulder. I wear my Crumpler as a messenger back and can do it all day long no issues with tons of lenses and flashes in it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back