Camera Bag suggestions

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate the bag that came with the camera. I am sick of looking, too many choices. $75 budget but will go over if needed. I want it to securely hold D3300, secure 3 lens, small flash (sb400) and maybe a place to hold a tripod. One or two pockets for smalls. Any suggestions or links to sites that will make it easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks wyogirl. I do not care for backpack.

You probably won't find a shoulder bag that will hold everything that you listed. You may find a sling bag. Good luck.

Thanks, that is a nice bag but I'm not spending that much. OK, I guess I need to stop being lazy and hunt.

Why not a back pack? I tried a large shoulder bag about the size you'd be looking for and it sucked. I ended up with the Case Logic slrc206 back pack that also holds a lap top. Much more comfortable to carry and easier to manage while walking and shooting.

Why not a back pack? I tried a large shoulder bag about the size you'd be looking for and it sucked. I ended up with the Case Logic slrc206 back pack that also holds a lap top. Much more comfortable to carry and easier to manage while walking and shooting.
Maybe your right, I just never considered it until now.

I hate the bag that came with the camera. I am sick of looking, too many choices. $75 budget but will go over if needed. I want it to securely hold D3300, secure 3 lens, small flash (sb400) and maybe a place to hold a tripod. One or two pockets for smalls. Any suggestions or links to sites that will make it easier.

First, it's been my experience that slings, backpacks and messenger bags are very individual (b/c they ride differently depending upon your body and what gear you're carrying. So what works for me may be uncomfortable for you and vice versa. You really need to go someplace where you can try it on and see how it rides.

Second, I really am not very optimistic in a shoulder bag/messenger bag that will hold a tripod that will expand to at least 5 feet. A gorillapod...okay. But a serious tripod? I'm pesimisstic of your chances.

I just came back from a gig where I used my Tamrac messenger bag. Held a Nikon body, 3 additional lens, a speed light, a MacAir, and could have held 2 more lens. But it wouldn't hold a tripod (even if I pimped it, it wouldn't ride well or be comfortable). That sounds like it would be about your size and mine (when I got it a year ago) was about $75 (I think it was $70).

Personally though, I think you should buy a day pack (a light backpack) that you can easily use as a sling (wear over one shoulder) b/c it's small enough. And then put an insert in it (anything from Timbuktu to just buy a set of velcro pads). This allows you to get something that is versatile (backpack or sling), doesn't scream "HEY, I'VE GOT CAMERA STUFF HERE--STEAL ME!" and you can customize it to meet your needs. I've done this with a big fanny pack (it will hold 4 lens but no body) and an UA waterproof backpack (laptop, multiple bodies, 4 lens, and a day's worth of food plus some layered clothing). Seriously: find a messenger bag that fits you well, then create an insert that holds the gear you want it to hold. So if you've got an f2.8 200mm bazooka, your padding will accommodate that.

I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 that I don't need anymore thanks to the people here talking me into going WAY over my budget to buy a ThinkTank bag. Haha.

Yeah, I have not given much more thought. I have to run into the local camera store, they have many to choose from.

I'm looking at bags, too, and I HATE backpacks, and refuse to consider them. If I'm walking a trail, a racetrack, an airshow, whatever, and I want to swap a lens or grab the flash, I do not want to have to set everything down somewhere, pack and unpack, load it back up before I can continue. Also, it's generally HOT around here, and I'd rather have my back exposed to whatever breeze might be around.

I need a new bag as my current bag (a Galen Rowell-designed bag sold in the nineties by Photoflex) is losing some stitching on some edges, but apparently nothing else exists like it. The lid opens away from me so it's not in the way as I reach into the bag. The shoulder strap has a sleeved pad so moving the bag around my side, to my back, or pulling out around front, doesn't scuff my neck. All the side pockets have top zippers, nothing flops open to let everything fall out onto the ground. I can change lenses, grab or stow the flash, get a polarizer, change batteries, whatever, all without breaking stride or finding something to use as a table. I got it second hand 6 or 8 years ago for 20 bucks! :)

I'm looking at bags, too, and I HATE backpacks, and refuse to consider them. If I'm walking a trail, a racetrack, an airshow, whatever, and I want to swap a lens or grab the flash, I do not want to have to set everything down somewhere, pack and unpack, load it back up before I can continue. Also, it's generally HOT around here, and I'd rather have my back exposed to whatever breeze might be around.

I need a new bag as my current bag (a Galen Rowell-designed bag sold in the nineties by Photoflex) is losing some stitching on some edges, but apparently nothing else exists like it. The lid opens away from me so it's not in the way as I reach into the bag. The shoulder strap has a sleeved pad so moving the bag around my side, to my back, or pulling out around front, doesn't scuff my neck. All the side pockets have top zippers, nothing flops open to let everything fall out onto the ground. I can change lenses, grab or stow the flash, get a polarizer, change batteries, whatever, all without breaking stride or finding something to use as a table. I got it second hand 6 or 8 years ago for 20 bucks! :)
then look at the LowePro backpack that I posted a link for above. You don't remove it to swap lenses. It stays on your waist and makes a great platform for lens swapping.

For the budget look for something used.

I have bought all my recent bags at camera stores where I could try out a number of brands.

Most reactions

Back