Camera choice for young beginner

People!! People!!! 13 is not that young. I think some of you passing judgement on this 13 year old without even knowing anything are jumping the gun a little. First of all a budget for this 13 year old's gift would be helpful then people might be able to recommend something more specific. Second, I think a gret way to handle this might be a gift card of some kind mabye not with a specific dollar amount in mind but just say it is for a DSLR. This way you can put your daughter a little more in the driver seat. If you have a good camera store near you with sales people who are knowledgeable take her there and let her pick it out and find one that fits her hands and needs the best. Again you can do this with a non-amount specific gift card just on her birthday out a note or some kind of card from the camera shop and take her there and let her figure it out. Also honestly you should go with either a Nikon or a Canon. And one more thing anyone who does not think the D80 is a beginner camera has alot to learn themselves.

passing judgement?

My experience.... teaching a young kid a new hobby by starting them with the best equipment teaches them one thing... that the most important way to become successful at something is to buy expensive stuff. It becomes all about the equipment.. not about the hobby or skill itself. It is part of the reason why many teachers of photography try to get all their students to shoot a few assignments in complete manual exposure. To help teach exposure not just buy the camera with the best meter. (It also doesn't help teach them the value of hard earned wages.)

On one hand, you say that photography is all about the photographer and not the camera.

YET.. you shove an expensive camera in their hands.

When I said that sometimes really nice stuff just becomes a distraction.. I meant it from personal experience.... You don't by a grand piano for a young student.

A D40/80 or some kind of Rebel are far from a grand piano. The OP says her daughter wants to graduate from a P+S to a DSLR so you have to say WAIT!!!! she's not ready!! it will cost too much!!!! it is too big a step!!! I am sorry a D40/80/Rbel is nowhere near some big advanced expensive camera that should be limited to professionals or advanced amatuers. The girl alredy has a P+S and her mother wants to get her somethng better I am sure your personal philosophy on materialisim has a place but really does it belong here??? again, (and no offense to those of you who own them) a D40/80 or a Rebel is one step up from a point and shoot camera and the natural progression for someone who is getting more into photography and wants to pursur it as a hobby as I think the OP stated her daughter wants to do.

Yes.. that's exactly what I"m sayin.. If you don't agree... thats your issue.

I guess you didn't see that an DSLR was listed in my recommendation.

I will have to disagree with some. 13 is a young adult. If you feel you have the budget get her an XT...the only reason would be if you don't have the budget. I was 12 building computers...you'd think a kid would be irresponsible or change their interest. If you teach her a little about exposure and whatnot...she'll keep it around with her.

I have to say that the D80 would be a very good choice. The only drawback being that it is a little pricey (at least for me...). I think it runs about $1200? I like the menus on the D80 because there's a lot of stuff that can be done in camera on the D80 that I can't do on my Canon XTi.

The Canon Eos Rebel XTi is a very solid camera as well. That's the camera that I own, and I like it a lot. It has less menu functions, but that's no biggie.

Overall...

D80
Pros:
Very extensive menus
Nice sized grip
10 megapixels
3FPS frame rate
2 scroll wheels for adjusting apertures/exposures...etc
Awesome sounding shutter!

Cons:
Expensive
The grip could be a little on the big size for 13 year old gal...
A little bigger and heavier than the XTi
The menus can get a little intimidating

XTi
Pros:
A little lighter than the D80
Smaller grips
10 megapixels
3FPS frame rate
Very easy and user friendly menus
Cheaper (I got mine from B&H Photo for $650 for the camera body)

Cons:
The grip could be a little too small and uncomfortable after a while
1 scroll wheel (ugh I wish it had two, because otherwise I have to hold down another button to adjust the aperture if I'm shooting in manual.)
Menus possibly a little too small
Lame sounding shutter :p

Hope this helps!!

I am 14 years old who plans on getting a DSLR for christmas. If you guys see the pictures I post you can tell I'm very dedicated to photography and I've already learned a lot of stuff in photoshop.

13 is only 1 year younger than me, haha. If she is as passionate about photography as I am, a D80 is the minimum you can get her! Haha. I'm hoping my parents will get me a used D200, :wink:.

Think about it... a decent point and shoot is only a little cheaper than a Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D40 body with a kit lens. If she's really dedicated, buy her a Rebel XT or XTi, D40, or D80 with a kit lens and let her play around with it for a while. If she's still interested a little while down the road, tell her that she can work to buy some more lenses that she wants, be it chores around your house or a job at the local McDonalds. I worked full time 2 summers ago when I was 13 so I could buy my Rebel XT with a kit lens and another 50mm f/1.8... I think you're doing her a major favour buying her the whole thing.

In other words, I would set her up with a decent body and let her sort out what she wants to do from there iwth lenses and other accessories, otherwise she is likely to give it up. A camera (or anything else for that matter) isn't very special when someone just hands it to you. She'll be more likely to enjoy it and understand the investment if she has some of her money into it, not to say she would give it up easily.

Man what ever happened to kids working for things they wanted. When I was younger and wanted expensive items my parents would make me pay for at least half of it. I think an 800$ camera is a little much for a 13 year old. I agree with some other posters that maybe an advanced point and shoot might be better.

When I think of all the different career paths I thought of between 13-18, my parents would be very poor if they bought me everything I would need to be a writer/rock star/photographer/cinematographer/pro surfer/Vet/stunt man/

It appears a entry level DSLR is in your best interest. Take her to the store to try out the Canon Rebl XTi. Sony, Panasonic, and others. I will not mention the Nikon D40 or D40x since they are a POS. IMO. (Come on Nikon...you couldn't come up with anything better?) Just start her off with the stock lens in the 17-85 or 18-55mm range till she decides on what she needs. Than make her baby-sit and save up to buy them.

I'm 16, got my DSLR when i was 15.I have to agree with domromer , what happened to kids working? Hell i'm only 16 and am disgusted to hear at the amount of money parents are pouring into their kids. A kid at school got a d80 for christmas [yes, this earl, wtf?] and his dad is planning on still giving him a top of the line flash and prime lens for him to open on christmas day.
What's worse?
Our parents make equal pay working in the same office and mine told me they could not afford to buy me a camera, and although i knew they could, i decided not to take their decision as a bad thing, but to give me motivation to get a full time job during the summer, and now work part time while going to school.
Every kid who is denied something love has so many doors of opportunity and motivation opened for them and i think a parent should learn what doors to open, and which to close. My parents offered a ride to my work during the summer, for example, to help.

Edit:

Good recommendation Stratman.

People!! People!!! 13 is not that young. I think some of you passing judgement on this 13 year old without even knowing anything are jumping the gun a little. First of all a budget for this 13 year old's gift would be helpful then people might be able to recommend something more specific. Second, I think a gret way to handle this might be a gift card of some kind mabye not with a specific dollar amount in mind but just say it is for a DSLR. This way you can put your daughter a little more in the driver seat. If you have a good camera store near you with sales people who are knowledgeable take her there and let her pick it out and find one that fits her hands and needs the best. Again you can do this with a non-amount specific gift card just on her birthday out a note or some kind of card from the camera shop and take her there and let her figure it out. Also honestly you should go with either a Nikon or a Canon. And one more thing anyone who does not think the D80 is a beginner camera has alot to learn themselves.

On what planet is an $800 camera for beginners?

Most reactions

Back