Camera equipment/gear suggestions anyone?

CamCracker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have:
--Nikon D3000
-18-55mm VR
--55-200mm VR
-28-70mm promaster lens (this is the lens I use with my extension tube for macro shots as it isn't compatible with my camera for some reason)
--an extension tube
-a nice external flash (top mount)
--UV filters
-macro filters
--flower pedal lens hood
-battery grip
-screw on wide angle lens
--screw on teleconverter lens
-3 batteries
--2 chargers
-Digital camera. I

I think that's it.

What I'm looking for is a lens greater than 55-200mm, with VR or something similar, and I would like it to zoom in and out. for under $400 used new or refurbished. And it has to have a built in motor because my D3000 doesn't have a motor and has to rely on lenses with build in motors (example nikons AF-S lenses)

I would also like something to store my digital photos with over 100gb of space and where I can view them, preferably not a computer or a portable hard drive, but something I can put on the internal memory (or sd card but preferably internal hard drive) and I can view them. Like a digital photo album.

I would also like to get a lot of miscellaneous things. Nothing above $400. preferably inexpensive things, but I'm open to any suggestion.

I am interested in things to make my photographing experience easier, more fun, better, etc. Like a right angle view finder, bubble level that slides in the hot shoe (yes there is such a thing, it's cool!)

ANYTHING that is compatible with my Nikon D3000. What do you have that you like and enjoy using, or what have you seen that looks cool and useful? Thanks. :D

You need technical photographic knowledge more than you need gear. That is what makes photography "easier, more fun, better, etc."

Beyond that you can use the Internet to find all the things you mentioned you want. And the best part of doing that is - your run across and learn stuff you didn't knpow you would want to know.

Why do you need stuff now? You only have $400.00 to spend :meh: Save up some more and go fro something better, I doubt you have reached the breaking point of upgrading. Like Keith said, you need to broader your range of knowledge, finding something greater then 200mm with an AF motor in it for less then $400.00 I can only think of the 55-300VR right now for #389.00 retail value.

Learn some more about your camera, leanr more about everything and then see what is holding you back. Ask yourself what you want to do with your camera, and if you can't do it because the camera is not capable of doing it. Then upgrade.

A couple of questions? Where are you at skill wise? Have you taken any classes or read any books... etc. etc. etc.?

Here is my humble overlookable recommendation based on having absolutley no knowledge of your situation.

1. The book understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. (or any of his series of books for that matter, you can find most of them on Amazon for around $6.)
2. A susbscription to "Rangefinder" magazine ...... free to "students" (hint, hint)
3. A subscription to "Professional Photographer" magazine
4. Any other books you see that capture your interest, or address an area of photography you would like to focus on.
5. A couple of classes. They are offered in almost every somewhat large city, many times for almose cheap as free.
6. Several hours a week spent pouring over forums, youtube videos and blogs geared towards photography

As far as gear you are looking to pick up... unless you are planning on sticking with the D3000 forever, I wouldn't limit your next gear purchases your current body. Many people here will more than likely tell you that the body is the most frequently upgraded piece of equipment in their arsenal.

I'm having a hard time coming up with something you can't do with what you already have. I guess all I can recommend is a radio trigger and receiver to get your flash off the camera. The eBays have them fer cheep.

Like Bram said..."the 55-300VR right now for $389.00 retail"...

I'd save your pennies and go for a new body! That's my plan and I have pretty much the same gear as you. I don't really care what gear 'looks cool', I just want to shoot better! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back