Camera Focus or Lack There of!

itsanaddiction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey y'all! Long time no talk!! So quick question - no matter what I do - my camera seems to never focus correctly - is that possible? I thought it was my lens (I may have been a little rough on it) so I bought a 50mm f1.8 and still don't seem to be getting the tack sharp images. I've tried adjusting settings and all. Thoughts?

On another note - how is everyone? If you are in the path of the hurricane, I'm saying prayers for y'all! I'm from NOLA so I am all too familiar w hurricanes!

You're going to have to give us more information, and it would help if you showed us an example.

Can you post an example of the issue and include the settings used for the shot? This could be a lot of things.

A guess: you are using automatic focus point selection and f/1.8. However, it is better if you post a sample.

Lots of people have focus issues when they get a fast 50 mm f/1.8 lens.

The problem is usually they don't know how to control depth-of-field (DoF), particularly when using the lens wide open. Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
Because the 50 mm lens is often used close to a subject, when wide apertures are used the zone of sharp focus, the DoF, is very shallow.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/270090-most-common-problem-dof.html

Plug some nunbers into this online DoF calculator to start getting a sense of how DoF works - Online Depth of Field Calculator

What was the other lens you were working with? Primes can be hard to work with. Wide open the depth of field is so narrow that you really have to be careful to get things in focus. That said, when you get it right it will be really sharp. Also, it's not at it's sharpest at the wide open setting. the 50mm 1.8 tends to be really sharp in the f4-f5.6 range, much less at f1.8.

Are you selecting the focus point or allowing the camera to select the point? Look at your pics and see where your camera is focusing. Also, if the camera NEVER focuses, you may have a defect with the camera.

STOP using AF-A and start using AF-S or AF-C, select one point focus, and choose in the viewfinder where you want the point, or use the middle one and recompose...make sure you have a high enough shutter speed, make sure your not all the time on 1.8f, if your on 1.8, you will most probably get only focus on the point you select and nothing else will be in focus.

Most reactions

Back