camera for a newbie!

fatalerror

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys, as you can tell, im new here, and new to photography

i'm currently a graphic design student, and whenever i wanna take some pictures to use in my design, my ancient sony P7 just ain't cutting it, especially for close up shots where everything just turn into a blur... So i'm looking for a new camera

The one im interested in so far is the canon a640, both the price and quality seems pretty good, and the reviews i have read seems to be quite positive. But the thing is it doesn't come with IS, and i was wondering how much different would it make? I read that with a tripod everything should be fine, but i doubt i would be carrying a tripod with me all the time.... Basically i just want a camera that can take really good quality pictures whenever i see something interesting, so i won't always get the chance to hold the camera very still or use a tripod. So would IS be really important?

and any other suggestions for other cameras are more than welcome!

What is your budget? You might want to look for a used Canon XTI.

Another option with good IS is the Panasonic FZ-30, 50, and or 18.

my budget is about anything under or around 500, BUT i don't want to buy something thats VERY professional, because i am a newbie to photography, and don't ever plan to becoming a pro, just the ability to take high quality photos (no blur, no grain, high resolution, etc) on the go.

i was wondering where can i find good reviews on the cameras you guys suggested, and so far i have only been using this site
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating
is it an actual reliable source?

and what about the image stabilization thing, would it be really important?

i was looking at the new(?) canon a650, its basically same as a640 except more mega pixels and comes with IS. Would that be a good choice?

^^^

Every brand calls IS something different. For example, Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction) Canon, IS (Image Stabilization) And, Pentax calls it Shake reduction.

In my experience, the Nikon VR lenses are worth every penny. I recently shot a wedding, and set a personal record for pictures taken....1200. Of those 1200 pictures, there were only around 10 that were blurry.

As for that rating site, I have it bookmarked. That is a very reliable site.

Check out the Pentax Optio Z10. I think you'll like what you see.

^^^

Every brand calls IS something different. For example, Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction) Canon, IS (Image Stabilization) And, Pentax calls it Shake reduction.

In my experience, the Nikon VR lenses are worth every penny. I recently shot a wedding, and set a personal record for pictures taken....1200. Of those 1200 pictures, there were only around 10 that were blurry.

As for that rating site, I have it bookmarked. That is a very reliable site.

Check out the Pentax Optio Z10. I think you'll like what you see.

hey i looked up for the camera you were talking about, but it only has 8mega pixels. Because i do graphic design work, i need the pics have the biggest possible resolution, so i would really prefer cameras that have 10mega pixels or more.

Are the canon ones i listed really crappy? Or not noob friendly? =0 And without IS, are A LOT of pictures gonna be blurry?

Most reactions

Back