Camera for cyclist?

Roverholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I am a keen cyclist who loves to take photos of the adventures I go on. I especially love taking landscape pictures once I've reached the top of a big hill overlooking the vast scenery.

Now my phone camera is knackered and I am looking to try find a camera that will fit my needs and need your suggestions.

Are there good compact cameras out there that will fit in my jersey pockets but still do a better job of taking a great photo of the landscape than a phone camera would?

What are your suggest people?

Thanks in advance!

Olympus Tough, cool little P&S that is resistant to the elements including waterproof and is impact resistant.

Just a thought

make sure it's water resistant (like the above Olympus Tough) or put in a ziploc bag. Sweat could cause issues. I always used to put my iPhone in a ziploc but now it's also my Strava/ GPSmap on my handlebar in a water proof handlebar case.

Great. Looks like a sensible option. I take it that this camera will take better pictures than most smartphones too then, and will be better than what I currently have at capturing wide landscapes?

Great. Looks like a sensible option. I take it that this camera will take better pictures than most smartphones too then, and will be better than what I currently have at capturing wide landscapes?
I don't like smart phones for photography, I am a total snob when it comes to that, but from my experience if there is one thing that smart phone does well is shoot landscape in good lighting conditions. if you are a cyclist and want a camera to mainly shoot landscape then stick to cell phone, it will be cheaper and less stuff to carry and frankly I doubt you will see any huge improvement even with an expensive camera.
My new LG G6 has a really cool wide angle camera, if I wasn't such a snob I would actually use it for landscape.....but I am a snob so I wouldn't :)

I don't like smart phones for photography, I am a total snob when it comes to that, but from my experience if there is one thing that smart phone does well is shoot landscape in good lighting conditions. if you are are a cyclist and want a camera to mainly shoot landscape then stick to cell phone, it will be cheaper and less stuff to carry and frankly I doubt you will see any huge improvement even with an expensive camera.
My new LG G6 has a really cool wide angle camera, if I wasn't such a snob I would actually use it for landscape.....but I am a snob so I wouldn't.

I actually use my smartphone iPhone 6S all the time. Since it's on my bike it comes in handy too.
Usually good video too. and it doubles as a phone :)

but a nice pocket camera can come in handy. My iphone though has good dynamic range (darks are shown as well as brights) which some cameras have a hard time compensating for.

Haha cheers people! I'm thinking then, stick with the smartphone for when I need something light when I'm cycling etc and maybe look at going for a full DLSR for when I don't if I am really going to look at getting into this game properly

Haha cheers people! I'm thinking then, stick with the smartphone for when I need something light when I'm cycling etc and maybe look at going for a full DLSR for when I don't if I am really going to look at getting into this game properly

you could do that to get into the "game" properly. Or get a mirrorless camera and "pancake" lens for those cycling trips ... smaller and lighter than a DSLR
that's what I do on bicycle and hiking trips
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi

I am a keen cyclist who loves to take photos of the adventures I go on. I especially love taking landscape pictures once I've reached the top of a big hill overlooking the vast scenery.

Now my phone camera is knackered and I am looking to try find a camera that will fit my needs and need your suggestions.

Are there good compact cameras out there that will fit in my jersey pockets but still do a better job of taking a great photo of the landscape than a phone camera would?

What are your suggest people?

Thanks in advance!

Sony RX100. It fits nicely in a seat bag or pocket. Great image and video quality too.

I thought I replied to this previously. My other half is a hard-core cyclist (he easily rides in excess of 10,000 miles per season. He literally rides every day... no matter the weather.)

Though he has lots of equipment available to him... when he is out cycling he typically likes to get shots of him at his favorite spots along his rides and usually he likes to be in them.

His favorite equipment literally is his iPhone, with one of those tiny micro-tripods (just search a site like B&H Photo or Amazon and use the keywords "micro tripod" and you'll see what I mean). He also picked up a clamp so that micro-tripod can hold the phone. His is very compact and easily fits into a jersey pocket (the tripod is actually a little smaller than the phone when it's folded.) To trigger this... he has an Apple Watch. The Watch has a camera shutter trigger app (either instant shutter or 3 second delay timer) so he can be in the image.

This is the sort of shot where you probably want a wide-ish angle of view and a broad depth of field (typical landscape photography) and that's basically what all these mobile phones do.... and the images are pretty sharp.

Honestly man, get the Olympus TG-4. You won't regret it.

I'm an avid mountain biker and whitewater kayaker, and I use my TG-4 on every trip. It's been dropped in rock gardens, gone swimming in rapids and been recovered a mile down river, etc and it's still going strong.

Plus the ability to control it with your phone wirelessly is great for getting photos of yourself if you're into that sort of thing.

I love that camera more than all my Nikon gear combined, just because it's been through so much with me. Makes great photos as well.

I have several cameras.
The one I always have is my Nexus6P.
I quite often carry an Olympus TG4.
I also have a D810.
On vacation, I mostly use my TG4.

Decision made.. and I've gone off in a completely different direction haha.

I am going to use my phone camera on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for my bike rides etc. Then for when I'm out on walks and don't need a small camera I am going to buy a Nikon D3300 and learn how to use that to get some good pictures of my travels.

Most reactions

Back