Camera for indoor family pics and more - Panasonic LX3 vs. Olympus E420?

minkamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi -- I've been using a couple of basic digital Canon PowerShot point and shoot's, and am looking for a better camera. I mostly take pictures of my children (often indoors), and would like to be able to take quality pictures fast (moments come and go quickly!) and in low-light conditions. I would like to have a certain degree of manual control (I handled a fully manual 35mm SLR for years, but that was some time ago), but with a relatively compact camera that I can take with me and that my wife also feels comfortable using (neither one of us is a fan of huge SLRs). After doing some research, I'm considering buying one of the following two cameras:

1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3: because of the relatively compact size and reasonable price for a lens like this (Leica f/2.0-2.8), with generally very favorable reviews (apparently there is some noise above ISO 400). It also takes quality video. Price: About $425.

2) Olympus e-volt e420 w/ 25mm pancake lens (f/2.8): because of the advantages of a digital SLR in a relatively compact format, with what seems like a nice lens. I don't think I'd like anything larger than this SLR. Price: About $525 (about $400 if I go with a 14-42mm lens instead).

These may seem like odd choices, but seem to best meet what I'm looking for in terms of low-light performance, price, and relative compactness. Will the Panasonic high-ISO noise issue become a problem for me, or will I be fine in most cases thanks to the lens? What can I expect the ultimate difference in picture quality to be between these two different options? Will they ultimately allow me to take nice indoor photos, and can I expect a much better quality than from the standard point and shoot? I don't know very much about photo equipment and would really appreciate some advice on whether any of these cameras would likely be the right option for me, and if I'm even looking at the right variables.

Thanks in advance!
Martin

Just my two cents..

I am in the process of saving up for the Panasonic LX3/Leica D-lux4. They are essentially the same camera but the one with the red dot is more expensive :-/ My initial opinion on the camera is very good. I like the size, optics, hotshoe, and features (raw capable). I was also very impressed with the sample prints done with ISO 1600 captures. Shutter lag is barely noticeable. Its just the camera I was looking for.. and I am Canon G-series fan.

The difference between you and I is that this camera would be a pocketable alternative to other digital systems I already have access to. If this were my one and only camera, I don't think I would be happy.

With that, I recommend that you consider a DSLR. Fortunately for you, both Olympus, Pentax, and more recently Panasonic have released fairly easy to carry small DSLRs. IMO, Pentax has better bang for the buck offerings in their cameras; features, lens (Kmount compatibilty back to the 70s), good AF lens selection as well as IS, prism viewfinders, and weathersealing in their high end. Olympus E420 really surprised me in all the size but I don't know much about its performance. Finally, i would research the Panasonic G1 leveraging the new Micro-4/3rds mount. I got to play with it recently at a camera shop and I was absolutely shocked at just how small and easy to hold... it feels comfortable. On the other hand, I am not too sure about the Electronic viewfinder (this camera has no mirror nor prism for compactness) and it does feel like a camera situated well above the high end P&S but just below traditional DSLRs. I do like it... for what it is intended and I am excited about this new format. Keep in mind, this is a new format so lens selection can be limited until it catches on. Olympus is working on a micro 4/3rds and Sigma is supposedly working on releasing lenses for it.

Either way..

don't forget that you should consider a good external flash with bounce head for indoor shots. used properly, the quality of your pictures will be better than depending on available light and high ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back