Camera for nature photography?

Abr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a new digital camera for photographing in nature, I have a budget of about USD 1,5-2 k (1 000 - 1 500 EUR). Used to be an advanced photographer with an old analog camera, and have a basic set of equipment. Which camera is best for photography in low light conditions and shooting against the light source (sunset)? Not sure where to post this, maybe the Moderators can help me move it?

Last edited:
What kind of nature photography do you want to do - landscape, wildlife, insects, plants - all none?
Is the budget all for the whole setup (Tripods, lighting, lenses, bags, camera) or just for the camera itself?
How much hiking/weight do you feel you can cope with - lots of quality and forget the weight or is is more important to be mobile and light?
Also you've said $10-15 in USD but you're in Sweden? Travelling and buying in the US?

I would get a high end Nikon/Canon

Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripod

Assortment of nice filters

Assortment of nice lenses (wide angle, zoom)

It should read what lens because the lens is more important than the camera, personally i would get a 1Dmk4 and a 600mmF4 and a 300mmF2.8L not sure what that would come to in USD

Just one good low light nature lens could easily eat up most of your $10 to $15 K USD.

You'll have to be quite a bit more specific about what 'nature' means to you.

The budget is just for the camera and optics, I have everything else I need. Basically an all-round camera and optics. By nature photography I mean mostly landscape but also some insect/flower macros, basically whatever I happen to see when I'm out walking. With my old analogue pentax my main problem was shooting in low light after sunset or odd lighting (just an example shooting a landscape against the setting sun) so optimally a camera and optics with good low light properties and good AEB is what I'm looking for. EDIT: It's not supposed to be USD 15 k but USD 1,5-2 k. (About EUR 1 000 - 1 500.) Apologies. I'm not going to the US, I just wrote it in USD for reference.

If you are already in the advanced area of photography and can afford it, go with FF. It's the 4x5 of digital cameras. I'm assuming you are talking about serious nature shots and not just park snapshots of the dandelion growing next to the path. If that is the case and you are just looking for a high-end p&s basically, try out one of the entry-level dslrs out there right now, or a MILC like the Olympus PEN series or the Sony NEX series. FF is the best option for what you are talking about IMHO. Try out a Canon 5D MkII or Nikon D700 at your local retailer, then wait a month for the new models to come out after the announcements later this month.

With economies the way they are its easier to give the currency you're dealing in direct since the prices of things are all kinds of up and down across boarders these days. On the Exposure side pretty much any camera will do for what you want on the current market, though you will have similar situations where the meter will be fooled by the light or where you want to impose your own creative controls over what the camera thinks. The instant review on the LCD along with using the histogram for checking the exposure should go a long way to helping deal with more tricky lighting conditions.

From what you say it would sound like you'd want:

1) Macro lens
2) a landscape lens
3) a general walkaround lens for close up work
4) a camera

with on specific need/demand at this stage for a longer focal length lens for wildlife work? A tripod should be fine for solving the lowlight shooting conditions for landscape work, whilst macro might well call for a speedlite and bracket setup to help provide more light when needed.

With my old analogue pentax my main problem was shooting in low light after sunset or odd lighting (just an example shooting a landscape against the setting sun) so optimally a camera and optics with good low light properties and good AEB is what I'm looking for.

You may want to look into the Pentax K-5. If you still have any K-mount lenses, they will work on the digital body.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/

A good crop sensor body will run you over a 1k US ( say a D7000 Nikon).. a full frame body will run you much more, but they have their advantages. A good low light lens is going to be $1700 US (70-200 2.8) and up... so on that budget, this will be difficult.

If you can live with a slower aperture, you might consider the Nikkor 28-300 FX lens 3.5-5.6 ... can be had for under a $1000. And since you don't have the budget for a FX body.. I would think the D7000 would be a good bet. With a good deal, you could get both for 2k or so. On a tripod, the 28-300 is great in low light.. and the D7000 does very well, with usable images (IMO) up to around ISO 6400. The 28-300 will also do decent Macro, although definitely not 1:1.

You could buy less body and more lens... but personally I think the technical advantages and features of the D7000 would be advantageous for you, since you can't afford PRO glass. (I have a D7000, and the 28-300.. so yes.. I am biased!) :) For the money, you can't bet them!

My other suggestion would be to look for used gear... and see what you can find.

You could get a used 5D MKI full frame camera with a wideangle lens. Or you could get a decent cropped body Rebel series camera for $700 and get a wide angle lens as well as a 70-300 or similar lens. Just suggestions. There are tons of options in that price range, but you are also fairly limited depending how far you plan on taking this hobby.

Just found a used sony a850 for only 1200 EUR! Sure I'll have to go cheap on the optics and upgrade as I go, but I can live with that. Has everything I want, Picture stabiliser built in (meaning I can buy cheap fixed tele objectives and still have stabiliser function), FF, metal chassi, weather proofing. I'm very grateful for all the help I've got here! I'll probably go with sigma-optics once I have the money.

Just found a used sony a850 for only 1200 EUR! Sure I'll have to go cheap on the optics and upgrade as I go, but I can live with that. Has everything I want, Picture stabiliser built in (meaning I can buy cheap fixed tele objectives and still have stabiliser function), FF, metal chassi, weather proofing. I'm very grateful for all the help I've got here! I'll probably go with sigma-optics once I have the money.
Just a few notes, its weather resistent, not weather proof. You still have to be careful in bad weather. Also, just because you have a built in stabilizer, doesn't mean you should go cheap on lenses. Optical quality trumps a stabilizer any day. However, you will be able to pay a bit less for some lenses due to not needing the stabilized version. Congrats on your purchase. Post some shots once you get it.

Most reactions

Back