Camera/Lenses for sport pics

HollandHusker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I'm a pretty much n00b when it comes to knowledge of camera's and lenses. I have been looking around and reading some stuff about it but I have a specific question for you guys.

What kind of camera and lens should I get when I am mostly taking pictures of sports (indoor). My budget would not allow me to spend more than 800 dollars. It's difficult to chose the right one when there are so many camera's you could buy.

Please help me so I can be taking the best pictures soon!
You'd really help me out here when you would advise me with some specific camera's and lenses. Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing some good stuff:thumbup: :wink:

In this case, I would work backwards, find the LENS you want first, and then find a camera it will work on.

Depending on the type of sport though, you might be out of luck. 800 dollars isn't enough for a fast, zoom lens to reach across a football field, although I am sure others here can give you better direction in this way.

Look at Nikon, their bodies can be found as low as 400 bucks!

I completely agree with that. Think about the lens first, you will want something with a maximum aperture of F2.8 or bigger (smaller number).

Do you concur? (anyone seen "Catch me if you can"?)

hehe

Yes at least 2.8 or better, but depending on how far the action is, the cost will increase. If you want something for, say, indoor basketball where you can move around a lot, even a 50mm 1.8 lens will work, fast, but your feet become the zoom.

If it's for football a 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor would be good, but it alone is like 900 bucks.

It is for indoor Volleyball so I can be my own zoom! Thanks for the advice guys it's helping me quiet a bit. I will be looking for a good lens with F 2.8 or bigger and than I will go on and find a camera that fits the lens? Sounds good! Thanks a bunch!

Sure, a 50mm 1.8 is cheap and effective, and would be good. If you want SOME zoom a Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S would be a good choice.

Remember "bigger" fstops, are the SMALLER number. The smaller the better, 1.8 is "beter/faster" than a 2.8.

Oh and for a body, I just got a Nikon D50, a top choice of camera a year ago (still great camera from what Ive heard) for 400 bucks (no lens) from www.adorama.com . It arrives tomorrow.

It's refurbished from NikonUSA.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back