What's new

Camera on light stand?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
729
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Will a lightstand be strong enough to hold a camera without falling over? I was thinking of attaching a 5'extension pole to a 13' stand to use as a camera mast for aerial shots. Any advice?
 
Provided you are holding the stand at the base, or securing it with sandbags, you're probably safe. Windy conditions are probably worth avoiding, though.
 
sounds fine to me as long as you have it secured (best is to have someone hold it... having that thing 18' up can't be too stable)
 
I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it with a heavy lens (such as a 70-200), but it would probably be fine, particularly if somebody is right there to stabilize it, and keep it from falling.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
I am more worried about the actual structure holding, like the height adjustment clasps or whatever it may have. I wouldn't let go of it or anything. I was planning on just mounting the camera and setting the widest focal length with a decent DOF considering this wouldn't be used for isolating subjects, more for panaramic type shots. Raise the stand, and while holding it just for extra security I could use my wireless release to snap pictures with my free hand. I like the idea of sand bags though. I actually work at an aggregate plant and have access to all the sand I want. So I could easily seal up a few bags to keep on hand for use.
 
I actually work at an aggregate plant and have access to all the sand I want.

maybe get a Saturday job in a bag shop too...then you're sorted. j/k

remember those old school clothes drying ''tree'' things people used to have in their back gardens..that stood in a pipe, embedded in cement...

..no wait...those parasol bases that are made of plastic with about 20 litres of sand in them. one of those (if you got a car to move all this around.)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
Here in the states we have Yards, not Gardens.

Someone might get the wrong idea if you say "My mates love going into my back garden":lol::lol::lol::lol:
 
HELL NO. That is not a good idea.
 
Here in the states we have Yards, not Gardens.
Only thing is......... this is an international forum. It's not that difficult to figure out the nuances.



Oh yeah, to the OP. I wouldn't personally.

It was just a joke hence the laughing faces. I know its an international forum. He was busting my chops so I busted his a little. I didn't mean it in a malicious way.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom