Camera Question

zoso16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new at photography, and I use a Sony Cybershot 4.1mpx. I want to invest in a new camera, and was wondering what would be a good camera for under $500 CAN. Thanks!:lol:

either or i think. if i get a digital, fine and dandy. if i get a film, ill buy a scanner.

Welcome to the forum.

You can get a really nice film camera for $500...or a decent film camera and a couple of lenses...or a camera and a scanner.

If you want a 'good' digital camera...I would suggest a Digital SLR. A DSLR will be much, much better than just about any digital point & shoot camera like the one you have now. The problem is that DSLRs are expensive. The entry level models start around $1000 CDN (Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50).

You said that you want to 'invest' in a new camera. One good thing about getting a DSLR is that you are investing into a camera system. The lenses are interchangable...so the lenses will hold their value long after the camera has become old technology. This system is infinitely more versatile than a p&s camera anyway.

If you do decide that a film camera would be the way to go. Have a look at the Canon EOS Rebels...or the more expensive EOS ELAN models. The best part is that they use the same lenses as the Canon EOS digital SLR cameras. So when you do decide to purchase a Digital SLR...the lenses will be compatible.

It's the same for some other camera companies as well. Nikon, Pentax etc.

Maybe what you were looking for was a recommendation for a digital camera around the $500 range. The problem is that most cameras in that range have the same short comings. Even the more expensive one do...until you move up to a DSLR.

The best thing you can do, is to figure out what features and uses you need/want and check the specs. www.dpreview.com then go into a camera shop and hold/use the cameras. Figure out which ones feel best in your hands...and which ones are easy to control.

Good Luck.

It depends if you want to stay digital simular to your compact or if you want to go Film. Once you have decided and read reviews, As i say to all. You should go to the local photography store/shop and try all the cameras out that you like and are in your price range. Then go back home and order off internet as majority of the time is cheaper this way.

BTW Welcome to TPF you will enjoy, its great! :D

I am going to be a mean and snotty but please read to the end.. Why in the world would you want to invest in a new camera and have no idea at all what you want? The only thing I can figure out is that you have a lot of money you don't want any more. Send the $500 CAN to me and I will send you a camera.
You have not even decided between digital or Film. So I suggest that you keep your perfectly fine Sony Cybershot 4.1mpx for now and set off on the pursuit of finding out who you are as a photographer. Is your true joy going to be found in digital, or film? Is you inclination toward architecture where a correction lens is needed. Maybe you want family pictures? Perhaps you really like macro or micro. Spend some of the $500 CAN on some photography books to help you discover where you are likely to end up photographically. Then spend your money on equipment to suit that passion.

when i bought my camera i didnt know if i wanted an SLR or a DSLR.
i thought, slr's and dslr's are the same besides the digital and film thing,of course. when i started i didnt care if i was taking pictures with a shoe box, as long as it was photography i'd love it...

IMO, photography is photography with a digital camera as with a film camera.

so, all you would have to do is get yourself a good camera(slr or dslr)
and start shooting......you'll love it

good luck:thumbup:

zoso16 said:
Hi, I'm new at photography, and I use a Sony Cybershot 4.1mpx. I want to invest in a new camera, and was wondering what would be a good camera for under $500 CAN. Thanks!:lol:

Hmm... this has turned a little controversial hasn't it!?

I think the key question lies within your wording, you say you want to invest in a new camera: Presumably because you have outgrown the capabilities of the current one?

500 Canadian is about 450 US or 250 Sterling. That's not a lot of cash really for digital. It'll buy you a 5MP compact, but that's what you have already, so no stepping forward there possible.

Film wise, it'll get you a massive number of great SLR bodies with say a standard 50mm f1.8 lens. These would allow you to take sharper pictures, but at the cost of time, effort and money at the developers. It's not unreasonable to view the total cost of first year ownership at a few hundred pounds, or 500 Canadian!

We really need more information at this point to move forward. As has been suggested, to develop your ability, books and friends are great value. The camera maketh not the photo, the photographer does.

So, whatcha wanna do huh? Improve yourself, your results? Take great pictures which wow everyone? On that budget your options are limited, but not necessarily depressingly so.

This sounds a bit like a mantra, but if you post a picture here describing what you like/don't about it, then help is available and doesn't have to cost a fortune!

Let us know what you want as an end product and there's every chance there's a route there on your budget.

Rob

It gets interestinger and interestinger!

What do you want to shoot: color or B&W?

If B&W, you'll want to reserve some $$$ for darkroom gear.

The camera may well be different, too. 6x6 format should be considered as an option.

Most reactions

Back