Camera recommendation

Yes, I love to hike & plan on taking what I invest in (hopefully) on a 3 to 5 day hike in addition to the day hikes.
Then add to my list weight (camera, lens, accessory equipment) and physical size. Add to your equipment list s dry bag to put it in.

. Yes, I love to hike & plan on taking what I invest in (hopefully) on a 3 to 5 day hike in

Then add size/weight to your choice of camera and lens. Those pounds add up when you're carrying them a long distance. Also add a dry bag to your list, even if your gear is supposedly weather resistant, moisture, dirt, etc have a way of finding their way in 9n sensitive electronics.

Seems you don't understand that a DX Nikon 35/1.8g has an effective focal length of 50mm on a Nikon DX camera. Surely sometime you shot a 50mm "normal" lens on a film camera?
Appears you're also recommending slow variable aperture zooms.

Just to clarify something because we're helping someone with no photography experience. Putting a lens on a crop sensor camera does not magically change the FL (focal length) of the lens. It only changes the FOV (field of view). The image circle projected on the sensor is the same as a full frame, but the smaller sensor crops the image. If you were to shoot a 35mm lens on a FF camera and crop the image to the same resolution as the crop sensor it would be the same.

While I didn't necessarily read that Don was advocating a slow zoom, based on the OP's requirements it wouldn't be a bad choice to a point. My Pentax 70-200 f/2.8 and K1MII are tipping the scale at close to 10 lbs. By comparison my Pentax K3II with it's 18-135 f/3.5-f/5.6 is well under half the weight and an excellent walk around combo. With the advances in noise reduction for high ISO "fast" glass isn't always required, especially for someone starting out.

Then add size/weight to your choice of camera and lens. Those pounds add up when you're carrying them a long distance. Also add a dry bag to your list, even if your gear is supposedly weather resistant, moisture, dirt, etc have a way of finding their way in 9n sensitive electronics.

Just to clarify something because we're helping someone with no photography experience. Putting a lens on a crop sensor camera does not magically change the FL (focal length) of the lens. It only changes the FOV (field of view). The image circle projected on the sensor is the same as a full frame, but the smaller sensor crops the image. If you were to shoot a 35mm lens on a FF camera and crop the image to the same resolution as the crop sensor it would be the same.

While I didn't necessarily read that Don was advocating a slow zoom, based on the OP's requirements it wouldn't be a bad choice to a point. My Pentax 70-200 f/2.8 and K1MII are tipping the scale at close to 10 lbs. By comparison my Pentax K3II with it's 18-135 f/3.5-f/5.6 is well under half the weight and an excellent walk around combo. With the advances in noise reduction for high ISO "fast" glass isn't always required, especially for someone starting out.
No worries, I don't believe in magic...

Do you have a camera store nearby to get the feel of the different cameras? The one I shop has used and I've had good luck with their used cameras and lenses.

Maybe to start get an entry level camera. I started with the Canon T4i and the 40mm pancake lens. Very light! Start off with one prime and one zoom.

My travel camera has a 35mm lens most of the time because it is light. If I'm taking portraits I use a different camera and lenses which are very heavy.

I think it was mentioned earlier but given your requirements (multi day hiking), a compact point and shoot might be your best bet. Despite it's age I still occasionally carry my old Canon Power Shot Elph. Sadly it only saves JPEG, but it's small size fits in my shirt pocket, and quality wise I think it still beats a cell phone. Some of the newer ones do save RAW files. Whatever you choose just remember "any camera" beats no camera, so many of your best photo ops will be sporadic, unplanned shots.

Size and weight do make a difference. Discovered it in the film days. Was using mostly my Nikon FG, think it was an FG, and upgraded for no good reason to the Nikon F5. Wow what a difference in weight. Ended up using mostly my FG. Lighter, much smaller and easier to handle. At the same time I had a Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RB67. Had to really be something special to take them along and shot them best from a tri pod, one more thing to carry! Didn't mean much walking to the car but walking out and around for a while it did! was really cool having those cameras though! :)

Lots of decent advice here, but nothing beats going to your local photo shop, and when I say photo shop, I mean the one that is focused on cameras and camera equipment, not one of the big box stores. The person behind the counter in the camera shop probably does a lot of photography, whereas the sales reps in the chain stores just want to sell you what they can get you to buy. Ask questions, let them know what you want to do, let them know your budget. Many of those shops sell pre-owned equipment. Hold the camera in your hands, get a feel for it.

Since you mentioned wildlife, you'll want a minimum of 400mm for a lens to be able to reach out and get those birds or animals. Tamron makes a decent 18-400mm lens that isn't overly expensive, especially if you can find a pre-owned, refurbished one, and it's good for everything from landscape to long range to pseudo-macro photographs. As for camera body, everyone has their favorite brand, just like cell phones and cars, so go look at the offerings and hold one in your hands to get a feel for it.

Other sources for decent pre-owned gear ar B&H Photo Video, Adorama, and MPB, all of which have online portals.

You had a number of people say (in a variety of ways) "go to a store and hold the camera body." That's good advice. Some people shoot Nikon (and stay with it) because they love the grip. Others don't care for it at all. Nikon and
Canon (the two most popular brands) tend to have different approaches to their menus. I'm too trying to make it sound like rocket science--it isn't. But don't make your decision "on paper"(by reading reviews and getting second hand advice). Use that to identify some criteria or even a few options but then go to a store (even if that isn't where you buy it) and hold the camera, get a sense for the seize and weight.

Don't be intimidated by the range of advice here--that just shows you've got a lot of options. I think you're being smart by being willing to go used and cheap to start out with. If you decide you love photography, you'll be investing more money later. But by then you'll have an idea of what you really want in a camera.

One last request: when you make a decision, come back to this thread and tell us what you went with and why. You see, lots of people ask advice, people give it, and then....they disappear. It's useful to know what advice resonated, what was discarded.

All the best to you and I hope we see you posting your first photos soon with your new (to you) camera.

Thank you everyone for ALL your input and advice! It truly is helpful. A bit overwhelming yes but not so much that it scared me away, it gives me some food for thought and lots to consider. I've been checking around my area locally and we do not appear to have much for camera stores to physically go in to which is a bummer and I'm with you all that going in to a big box store is not going to get me any type of solid or even remotely good advice. I may need to just put my waders on instead of my muck boots and dive in and make what feels like the best decision and run with it. I mean, what could possibly go wrong. LOL

I look forward to doing just that Joe, posting my first photos so you all can then critique that (I mean that in a good way). I've seen some pretty darn cool pix posted here and read the critiquing and it really is helpful!

All the best to you all! And if you think of any other input or advice please don't hesitate to add your input. I very much value it!

You had a number of people say (in a variety of ways) "go to a store and hold the camera body." That's good advice. Some people shoot Nikon (and stay with it) because they love the grip. Others don't care for it at all. Nikon and
Canon (the two most popular brands) tend to have different approaches to their menus. I'm too trying to make it sound like rocket science--it isn't. But don't make your decision "on paper"(by reading reviews and getting second hand advice). Use that to identify some criteria or even a few options but then go to a store (even if that isn't where you buy it) and hold the camera, get a sense for the seize and weight.

Don't be intimidated by the range of advice here--that just shows you've got a lot of options. I think you're being smart by being willing to go used and cheap to start out with. If you decide you love photography, you'll be investing more money later. But by then you'll have an idea of what you really want in a camera.

One last request: when you make a decision, come back to this thread and tell us what you went with and why. You see, lots of people ask advice, people give it, and then....they disappear. It's useful to know what advice resonated, what was discarded.

All the best to you and I hope we see you posting your first photos soon with your new (to you) camera.
Go to a shop and handle several different cameras. I can't tell you why I like Nikon other than I've been using them a long time with no problems. Seems to be a habit. But this I know, I've seen photo's every bit as good as any I've ever done, with different cameras. no company has a lock up on that!

I know this is not close to you, but Kenmore Camera in Seattle is worth a visit. They'll give you good advice, they'll have a ton of used gear so you can at least put your hands on the bodies that are on your short list. And they'll have good technical advice from their staff. Also, a place like Kenmore usually has rentals. So if you think you're going to spend $1,400 on a package, you can usually rent it for 3 days to play with it. This is a very good idea once you have a body you know and are looking to add lens to your collection--try before you buy.

Once you've made your decision, two places that have great reputations for on-line used gear are KEH Camera and Adorama Camera. I know it probably feels uneasy to buy used gear online but their stuff will be checked, come with a warranty, and usually have a return policy. Do NOT buy used gear on Amazon. There are occasionally scams (I've reported 3 of them where Nikon body prices were too good to be true). I did buy one Nikon body from a third party via Amazon and it turned out to be gray market (which means Nikon won't repair it when I needed work done).

Good luck making your decision and I look forward to seeing your photos.

I know this is not close to you, but Kenmore Camera in Seattle is worth a visit. They'll give you good advice, they'll have a ton of used gear so you can at least put your hands on the bodies that are on your short list. And they'll have good technical advice from their staff. Also, a place like Kenmore usually has rentals. So if you think you're going to spend $1,400 on a package, you can usually rent it for 3 days to play with it. This is a very good idea once you have a body you know and are looking to add lens to your collection--try before you buy.

Once you've made your decision, two places that have great reputations for on-line used gear are KEH Camera and Adorama Camera. I know it probably feels uneasy to buy used gear online but their stuff will be checked, come with a warranty, and usually have a return policy. Do NOT buy used gear on Amazon. There are occasionally scams (I've reported 3 of them where Nikon body prices were too good to be true). I did buy one Nikon body from a third party via Amazon and it turned out to be gray market (which means Nikon won't repair it when I needed work done).

Good luck making your decision and I look forward to seeing your photos.
Great info! Thank you! We are snowed and frozen in right now (rain storm on top of snow storm) but when we do have better weather I do get to Seattle from time to time. Good to know on used, I had mixed feelings but not opposed to the idea. Thanks again! Very helpful information :)

Great info! Thank you! We are snowed and frozen in right now (rain storm on top of snow storm) but when we do have better weather I do get to Seattle from time to time. Good to know on used, I had mixed feelings but not opposed to the idea. Thanks again! Very helpful information :)
Don't shy away from used gear, especially from solid retailers like KEH offering limited warranties who don't buy and sell junk. Lots of DSLR cameras are hitting the used market now as major makers shift to mirrorless. You'll generally see three categories of trade-in used gear: older but lightly used; newer cashed in by habitual upgraders; and smoked old and/or heavily used current stuff. Nothing wrong with trailing edge gear in nice shape that's solid value. Don't buy beyond your starter kit unless/until it limits you.

Save a few $$$ for editing software. PS Elements is nice. Lots of general and specific online tutorials.

Thanks for not being a drive-by poster.

Don't shy away from used gear, especially from solid retailers like KEH offering limited warranties who don't buy and sell junk. Lots of DSLR cameras are hitting the used market now as major makers shift to mirrorless. You'll generally see three categories of trade-in used gear: older but lightly used; newer cashed in by habitual upgraders; and smoked old and/or heavily used current stuff. Nothing wrong with trailing edge gear in nice shape that's solid value. Don't buy beyond your starter kit unless/until it limits you.

Save a few $$$ for editing software. PS Elements is nice. Lots of general and specific online tutorials.

Thanks for not being a drive-by poster.
Editing SW was actually another topic I was curious about. I figured once I purchased some gear it wouldn't be long until I was wanting to figure out the SW part of the equation. Thanks for the recommendation!

Editing SW was actually another topic I was curious about. I figured once I purchased some gear it wouldn't be long until I was wanting to figure out the SW part of the equation. Thanks for the recommendation!
There are all sorts of threads here on software and just as many opinions as to what to go with. And yes, once you get going with your gear, you'll want to upgrade your post-processing game.

In the meantime, if you have a Mac laptop (I seem to recall you said you had an iPhone), the Photos software on it isn't bad for snapshots. It does a decent job cataloging, it also comes with limited iCloud storage. You can then integrate other software (for instance, I have Affinity Photos and Topaz Labs) in to it. And none of that prevents you from using Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop/Creative Suite, or a range of other programs. But checking to see what you may already have is a good first step when it comes to editing.

Also, on the off-chance to go with Nikon, there is free software from Nikon (downloadable from their site) that does an excellent job converting from RAW to Jpeg and also basic (very basic) editing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back