Camera reflection in metal

Thanks for the advice epatsellis
you mind me contacting you on here?
regards
chris

Is it me or is the WhiteBalance off especially the 2nd brush image ?

The second shot was taken on light grey/blue card.

The second shot was taken on light grey/blue card.

I don't why what I wrote didn't come up in my first post.
I wrote allot of info.
First you should do some searches on reflection and the different kinds of reflections and what certain smooth surface subjects reflect differently and why certain lighting creates reflection.
WIKI is very informational !!!!!!
The book Light, Science and Magic is my go to book if I have a reflection issue.

To your photographs and to your lighting set up.
Well you have 3 lights on the out side of your tent and now you have polarized light bouncing every direction inside your tent,

So how many glare lines you have on the paint brushes ?

Dump the tent buy the book Light science and magic.
and speedliters hand book.

Buy a speedlight some kind of soft box or reflector for the speed light maybe some linear polarized film and a cpl for your lens.

The issue is also the glare you have on the wooden handles of the brush..

Thanks for the feedback.
I will ditch the tent and try other methods. Work have given me a little room to use as a studio now, so I am wanting to a set up there.
So you favour a speedlight instead? I thought a studio set up would be better for consistency, as i have to take these photos directly above.

Thanks for the feedback.
I will ditch the tent and try other methods. Work have given me a little room to use as a studio now, so I am wanting to a set up there.
So you favour a speedlight instead? I thought a studio set up would be better for consistency, as i have to take these photos directly above.

No matter if you dump the tent or not you will still have to deal with the image reflected in the metal.
That's where the book Light Science and Magic helps and the book Speed lighters hand book because the book contains many pictures of how to set up your lighting and reflectors and gobo's.

You might need something around you camera like a peek hole that the lens will slide through.
there is no escape getting partially polarized light inside a light tent.
And the polarized light only creates glare on the handles of the brushes not on the metal...
Your pictures don't look that bad .

I have to agree the white balance was off on most of photos .

I use Alein Bees and white lightening strobes , and I never use two lights on a small smooth surface reflective subjects because of the 2nd line of reflection and I am lighting the subject at a angle its not making a unwanted shadow.

After to switching to flash or strobe photography and table top product photography I canned my light tent and never want to use Florescent again .....

I have a speedlight but i don't normally use it for Product photography.

Here is a picture of my set up.

If you notice the white strip going around the bottom of my soft box , that is Velcro and its holing the linear polarized film on the bottom of the soft box.
I am using a TSE 17mm on a canon 5DmkII with a 145mm fotodiox CPL.
Because you are photographing polished metal and you have smooth black handles makes your product photography very specialized in the form of seeing a image in the reflections of the metal piece and glare that is produced on the handle by using light that is partially or is considered polarized light....

It seems I have allot better control of reflection when the camera is not at certain angle of the subject even on round smooth surfaced reflective objects !
Sorry about the lent in this photo it is embarrassing

Here is a photo taken almost right above the chalker's
and this is the reason I changed the angle that I photograph my products ...

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciated this :)
I have purchased a grey card for the white balance and the books are coming soon. Looking forward to ditching the tent. I have spoke to the management and they have given me a £2000 budget to buy more equipment, which is great. I am using a 5D and the 50mm prime lens.. the rest of the equipment is rubbish. If you had this budget what would be your equipment list? I may have to use Ebay etc to try and get more for my money.

Unfortunately all the shots have to be taken directly above and they won't allow me to change this. A few years ago they paid a lot of money for a professional photographer to photo the catalogue (please see the images below). This is what they are wanting me to replicate.. the consistent dark reflection on the ferals of the brushes etc. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 279
Hi,
...Unfortunately all the shots have to be taken directly above and they won't allow me to change this. A few years ago they paid a lot of money for a professional photographer to photo the catalogue (please see the images below). This is what they are wanting me to replicate.. the consistent dark reflection on the ferals of the brushes etc. Thanks :)

Why directly above? In reality perpendicular to the plane of the brushes, (hint: ) were they on a wall, you'd be shooting them straight on, wouldn't you?

Hi
Thanks for the feedback.
The professional they hired shot from above, so I just trying to recreate what he did. With the main light coming from above. I will be buying some new kit soon, so I will try what you said.

Thanks

Chris

Those shots don't look like they are lit from above.
It looks like a softbox & a reflector have been on the sides parallel to the brushes.
The dark band between the highlights is the bit the camera would have been in, and dark flags would probably have been used to prevent stary light from the reflector/softbox falling diractly on the camera lens.

Look at the light shadows in that brochure. They're off to the side. Think of how the light creates shadows ... and you'll figure out the light was not from above, but from an angle. Then the other softened highlighted on the opposite side of the metal -- think reflector.

Most reactions

Back