Camera reflection in metal

chriswakefield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all.

Really in need of advice here. :(

I work as a graphic designer for a firm near Leeds. They have asked me to start taking their photos for their website and brochure, (kind of dropped in it). Now I have always enjoyed photography (outdoors, fine art, etc), but product photography is new to me. I have looked for course, but they are expensive. I have tried to find my solution through books etc and I have had no luck. Bascially the products are fine art brushes. My studio space is limited and I am using a tent, soft box, and lights on each side and shooting live view via the Canon EOS Utility (see attached). Limited equipment also.
I am shooting directly above as they asked. The problem the metal brush ferals are reflecting the camera. So in some of the shots you can see this. Is there a way round this? Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to let them down. Please see the photos below.

Thanks

Chris

setup.jpg
SET 50.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg

This all relates to the position, intensity, and type of diffusion used on your lights (also, your Blu-Tac is showing!). I would suggest getting a copy of the lighting bible.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks.. I will buy it now. This image will be cropped and is just a reference image, so ignore the blue tac thanks. :)

It's also perfectly normal to have to do some post work on images such as this. Working with round metal, it can be a challenge to get things 'just right' and it often saves a lot of time to just "photoshop" minor issues.

Sorry for duplicating this post. I thought I posted it in the wrong section.
Thanks.. apprecaited..Yeah I just wondered if there was a way to remedy this before, as I have 100's of these to do. The book looks great. Cheers.

I would agree with John on his suggestion. I will be honest, I've just started with the light tent and product photography, I think (other than the blu-tac) these images look good.

Going to have to get mine back out later today and practice.

Thanks Ron. Looking forward to reading the book.

Is the new version this much better? I bought the 3rd edition for a fraction of the price off Abebooks hoping that physics haven't changed - were I wrong ?

Is the new version this much better? I bought the 3rd edition for a fraction of the price off Abebooks hoping that physics haven't changed - were I wrong ?
I'm still working off of the third, based on the same assumption! :lol:

The biggest change probably is an update to the functions of newer equipment. The principals have not changed unless there is something new in the world of physics dealing with light that I am not aware of.

Hello all.

Really in need of advice here. :(

I work as a graphic designer for a firm near Leeds. They have asked me to start taking their photos for their website and brochure, (kind of dropped in it). Now I have always enjoyed photography (outdoors, fine art, etc), but product photography is new to me. I have looked for course, but they are expensive. I have tried to find my solution through books etc and I have had no luck. Bascially the products are fine art brushes. My studio space is limited and I am using a tent, soft box, and lights on each side and shooting live view via the Canon EOS Utility (see attached). Limited equipment also.
I am shooting directly above as they asked. The problem the metal brush ferals are reflecting the camera. So in some of the shots you can see this. Is there a way round this? Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to let them down. Please see the photos below.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris
So some how you got talked into or talked yourself into buying a photo tent that reflects light in every direction and then you say you have a reflection issue ?
I hope you are thinking about what I just said and what you are doing to your photos.

Light strikes smooth surfaced of the product you are trying to photograph...
Because your product is round you cannot escape the direct reflection line caused by the light.
But in your case you have reflected light coming in from every direction.
And therefor you have reflection issues coming in from every direction.

For one inside the tent you will never be able to escape direct reflection because you have light being bounced reflected and scattered in side the tent.
Two is you now have Polarized light and though it will make no difference on the metal it does create issues with all non metallic smooth surfaces by glaring them out where your blacks will look whited out or gray.

Dump the light tent if you want to get rid of the reflection issues and use one large light source.
You have little control of angle of light inside your tent..... ( family of angles ).

The angle of light to the subject and angle of camera to the subject is the only way to control direct reflection issues.

Then you have UV and polarized reflection that can cause issues with all Non metallic smooth surfaces .....

A couple bits of advice:

1. Ditch the light tent and spend some time learning with Light- Science and Magic about how to really light an object effectively.

2. Longer focal length lens will eliminate the reflection of the camera, when shooting jewelry and other small shiny things, it's not unusual for me to use a 300mm lens with an extension tube. It eliminates any hint of a reflection, and as an added bonus, gives you a ton more working room...sometimes too much.

3. Vis a vis #2, start learning to shoot tethered, it will make life much easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back