Camera Repair

Spongiform

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using a Canon Powershot SX100 IS for about 2 years now and I'm very happy with the results. I mainly use it to take fishing, camping, etc. and take pics of bugs, snakes, fish etc.

black-snake.jpg

(full size)

So recently a rather large hornet managed to find it's way into my kitchen and I decided to get a few closeups as usual before returning it outside. A few pictures in and Mr.Hornet decides to fly up and land on my face.

During the panic that ensued I ended up dropping the camera, it fell a few feet and landed lens-down on the floor.

The small metal ring on the outside of the lens was dented, so it would not open or close properly. I took that off (it was already loose anyway) and after that it would open/close fine.

The flaps that would close when the camera turned off were not working properly, so I took those off as well.

I've tested all the features to the best of my ability. The zoom works, the focus works, the flash and lighting detector works.

The one thing that doesn't work, is the shutter. You can change or set the shutter speed all you want, it just stays open for like 2 seconds every time. If it's dark and I use the flash, I get a viewable, but blurry picture.

If I try during any sort of day-time brightness it just comes out as a solid white picture, regardless of what settings I use.

The video mode still works fine though.

I do not have the money to replace the lens assembly (~$160) or to buy a new camera ($250-300) at the moment.

So is there any way I can get the shutter to work again? I've got some big trips planned this fall and it would suck not to have my camera with me :-(

~
Spongiform

PS: If this wasn't the best subforum to use, please move it to the correct one ;-D

During the panic that ensued I ended up dropping the camera, it fell a few feet and landed lens-down on the floor.

Great wordage! :lmao:

sorry about the camera. :(

The one thing that doesn't work, is the shutter. You can change or set the shutter speed all you want, it just stays open for like 2 seconds every time. If it's dark and I use the flash, I get a viewable, but blurry picture.

If I try during any sort of day-time brightness it just comes out as a solid white picture, regardless of what settings I use.

The video mode still works fine though.

I do not have the money to replace the lens assembly (~$160) or to buy a new camera ($250-300) at the moment.
I suspect the shutter is doing it's thing because of an electronic fault, not a mechanical fault.

The fact the video works fine (not blurry) means the lens is ok.

At any rate it's not going to fix itself. It would need to go in for repairs and the repairs are likely to cost more than a new camera.

Looks like your going to be shooting a lot of video.

Most reactions

Back