Camera Resolution Question.....

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
I've been investigating the Fuji S3. I read somewhere that it has 12mp resolution but 6mp "effective pixels." How would this differ from, say, my D50 which has 6mp "effective pixels?"

Any comments on the S3 in general? Thanks for any insights.

Here is a review

I remember reading something about that 12MP vs 6MP on the Fuji...I think it has something to do with their weird sensor technology.

The S3 has two photodiodes at each photosite. Between the two, one image pixel is generated. There's one "regular" photodiode and a smaller, less sensitive one. The smaller one will capture detail that is above saturation of the normal one. The combined data is used to make one image pixel. Your D50 has one photodiode per photosite.

Thanks, guys. I had an S1 for a few years and was not terribly impressed with it. My D50 makes better images to be sure but, of course, has newer technology. After reading the review, I think the best approach for me ia to get higher resolution is to go with the D80. It isn't as well built as the D200 or D2 but I don't do pro shooting any longer and don't need the day in day out ruggedness of the pro camera bodies like I did in those days.

I appreciate the input.

Most reactions

Back