camera shake

I see you use a 580EX - can you shoot manual and increase shutter?

I thought the faster the shutter the more it increases "hand holdability"?

ok so I've never used a monopod before...one hand holds the monopod shaft and the other hand presses the shutter button? I'm obviously missing something, I'm just used to a heavy tripod that I won't carry around with me.

You can have one hand on the pod one on the shutter... or just have both hands on the camera...

I use my monopod most often with my sigma105mm for macro shots.... this lens does not autofocus on my D60... so it's one hand on the focus ring and one hand on the shutter... the weight of the camera supported by the pod...

Just drop to prone... the most stable position.

Shoot between breaths after every 2 exhales... my job helps with my hobbies! :mrgreen:

Yeah Overread, that sounds totally logical, I never even thought about that, it's so obvious that you dont need to hold the pod.
I haven't shot on Manual, not brave enough just yet. But mystwalk, it makes sense what you say too.

OH!

And don't forget, the best breathing technique (at least for me) is to take a big, deep inhale, and let out HALFWAY, then shoot. It keeps me totally steady without leaving me choking for air like it would if I did it at the beginning or end of the breath.

OH!

And don't forget, the best breathing technique (at least for me) is to take a big, deep inhale, and let out HALFWAY, then shoot. It keeps me totally steady without leaving me choking for air like it would if I did it at the beginning or end of the breath.

If you exhale completely there's a natural pause for a couple seconds before the next inhale. It's the best time for steadiness since it's not a forced pause in the cycle... a sniper tip. :mrgreen:

If you exhale completely there's a natural pause for a couple seconds before the next inhale. It's the best time for steadiness since it's not a forced pause in the cycle... a sniper tip. :mrgreen:

note to self: avoid barbeques with Syndac

I made that same suggestion last time. I thought I would take a different approach this time :lmao:

Yeah Overread, that sounds totally logical, I never even thought about that, it's so obvious that you dont need to hold the pod.
I haven't shot on Manual, not brave enough just yet. But mystwalk, it makes sense what you say too.

If your shooting kids during the day, using natural light... You should never be getting camera shake. Natural light along with using a wide open aperature for nice bokah in portraits will give you a super high shutter speed. Even someone with the shakiest of hands should not be getting camera shake if you are correctly metering to give yourself a high shutter (which you should anyway to avoid subject movement)

I think you'll have to post some examples and settings and first see if this is user error in metering rather than shaky hands.

If your shooting kids during the day, using natural light... You should never be getting camera shake. Natural light along with using a wide open aperature for nice bokah in portraits will give you a super high shutter speed. Even someone with the shakiest of hands should not be getting camera shake if you are correctly metering to give yourself a high shutter (which you should anyway to avoid subject movement)

I think you'll have to post some examples and settings and first see if this is user error in metering rather than shaky hands.

You do have a valid point here but, some of the best natural lighting situations kinda moot it.
This shot (unprocessed) still required a shakable 1/125 or 1/60 ss (I can't remember the off hand) with 400 speed film
008.jpg

Shot under deisent cloud cover in the morning before school with a fairly open aprature (f/4 if memory serves me correctly). Wile yes I did have a 1.4 capable lens on it opening the lens to 1.4 would have sacrificed the poor boys head and shoulders focuswise.

1/125 or 1/160 is usually not shakable. If 1/160 is shakable for you at f4, you can even stop down to 3.2 (as you mentioned) and gain to 1/250. THAT surely should not be shakable.

You misread....that is 1/60 not 1/160

ah, my bad. I was wondering if people actually COULD get camera shake at 1/160! :lmao:

It comes down to creative control. If I couldn't move to a seperate light sorce, and I felt my ISO was already high enough... I would open up my aperature before slowing my shutter down that far and chancing camera shake. at 1/125, you hsould be gravy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back