Camera Stabilizern for Photography

Queena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gudsen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new here and searching for something related to camera equipment. As a professional photographer, you must hear about camera stabilizer and how does it work for your camera shooting. I have a new sony a7s and would like to use it for some wedding photography. Here is a video illustrate how a camera stabilizer works:

This camera accessory tool is called moza gimbal.

Uhm. Does the A7 have sensor stabilization?

I do not think active camera mounts like this would be sensitive enough to stabilize for long exposure stills. Or are you looking for something for video? If so $$$.

Uhm. Does the A7 have sensor stabilization?

I do not think active camera mounts like this would be sensitive enough to stabilize for long exposure stills. Or are you looking for something for video? If so $$$.

No, Sony a7S doesn't have image stabilization. Camera stabilizer replies on built in Gyroscope, sensors and motors to adjust the movements of the camera.

You don't need stabilisation for wedding photography
I cant believe I am saying this but for the first time I agree with you.
unless you're drunk and have a nervous twitch.

In the very short video in which they say they'll do testing in a video coming soon, they only speak of video usage, and it looks like remote video usage too.

and isn't this a continuation of this thread ==> Suggestion a gimbal for mirrorless cameras Photography Forum

You don't need stabilisation for wedding photography
I cant believe I am saying this but for the first time I agree with you.
unless you're drunk and have a nervous twitch.

In the very short video in which they say they'll do testing in a video coming soon, they only speak of video usage, and it looks like remote video usage too.
I was pissed as a fart at my wedding 2 weeks ago but was still ok with my friends M9 who was shooting my wedding

Hmm ? What ?! No IS for wedding photography ?!?

You certainly have use for IS on telephoto lenses.

No, Sony a7S doesn't have image stabilization. Camera stabilizer replies on built in Gyroscope, sensors and motors to adjust the movements of the camera.

I know what it is.

Many Sony models have had this sort of function built in though, MEMS gyroscopes sense camera shake and compensate by moving the sensor, it was something inherited from Minolta. It worked fairly well. I've been out of the loop for a while.

As for using an active gimbal, I doubt that they'd be fast enough to do what you want. They are designed to dampen movement in a way that appears steady, not lock it down such that movement doesn't happen at all. My guess would be, it would make matters worse not better.

If you have $200 to blow on something that will very likely not work, you can rent them from a production rental agency. I wouldn't buy one without trying it first.

A much better solution would be figuring out how to hold your camera still. That and asking yourself if you really need it, or if you just like the idea because it will make you look cool (looking obnoxious is probably a better adjective).

Queena, there is camera stabilization, per the video link you provided and image stabilization. Camera Stabilization is mainly used by videographers/cinematographers when shooting from moving/unstable platforms. When employed it will smooth out the video eliminating minor bumps and movements of the moving/unstable shooting platform (car, helicopter, person, et al). These are large, expensive, external affairs.

There is Image Stabilization (IS), which sort of isolates the image from the camera. IS is used for stills and minimises blur due to low shutter speeds and handheld camera shake. IS can be found in the camera (In Body Image Stabilization - IBIS) on in the lens (Image Stabilization - IS).

I do not know how you plan to shoot the wedding ... video or stills or both ... from a moving platform or at low shutter speeds ... so it is difficult to answer a specific question. Reportedly the A7S is remarkable in low light, delivering high image quality at high ISO's. Which makes me assume that you are more concerned with shooting from a moving/unstable platform than shooting at low shutter speeds ... so ... I would think you are seeking camera stabilization for video. I would read a ton of reviews and start whittling down my choices. Then as Unpopular stated rent a few camera stabilization choices then decide based upon usage.

I think most here shoot stills and not a lot of video and are not very familiar with camera stabilization (as opposed to image stabilization).

Remember that generally, both systems only work on the camera end not the subject end.

1) If you're using CS/IS/IBIS and shooting a person running in front of a building with a slow shutter speed, the runner will be blurred but the non-moving building will be sharp.

2) If the same shot was taken, (low shutter speed), without CS/IS/IBIS, both the runner and the building will be blurred (the runner will display more blur than with CS/IS/IBIS, but it will still be blurred).

3) If your subject is stationary and shot with a low shutter speed with CS/IS/IBIS, then both subject and stationary background will be sharp. If your subject is stationary and shot at a low shutter speed without CS/IS/IBIS then both subject and stationary background will be blurry.

A simple tripod mounted on a non-moving platform, will outperform a handheld camera using CS/IS/IBIS.

Queena, there is camera stabilization, per the video link you provided and image stabilization. Camera Stabilization is mainly used by videographers/cinematographers when shooting from moving/unstable platforms. When employed it will smooth out the video eliminating minor bumps and movements of the moving/unstable shooting platform (car, helicopter, person, et al). These are large, expensive, external affairs.

There is Image Stabilization (IS), which sort of isolates the image from the camera. IS is used for stills and minimises blur due to low shutter speeds and handheld camera shake. IS can be found in the camera (In Body Image Stabilization - IBIS) on in the lens (Image Stabilization - IS).

I do not know how you plan to shoot the wedding ... video or stills or both ... from a moving platform or at low shutter speeds ... so it is difficult to answer a specific question. Reportedly the A7S is remarkable in low light, delivering high image quality at high ISO's. Which makes me assume that you are more concerned with shooting from a moving/unstable platform than shooting at low shutter speeds ... so ... I would think you are seeking camera stabilization for video. I would read a ton of reviews and start whittling down my choices. Then as Unpopular stated rent a few camera stabilization choices then decide based upon usage.

I think most here shoot stills and not a lot of video and are not very familiar with camera stabilization (as opposed to image stabilization).

Remember that generally, both systems only work on the camera end not the subject end.

1) If you're using CS/IS/IBIS and shooting a person running in front of a building with a slow shutter speed, the runner will be blurred but the non-moving building will be sharp.

2) If the same shot was taken, (low shutter speed), without CS/IS/IBIS, both the runner and the building will be blurred (the runner will display more blur than with CS/IS/IBIS, but it will still be blurred).

3) If your subject is stationary and shot with a low shutter speed with CS/IS/IBIS, then both subject and stationary background will be sharp. If your subject is stationary and shot at a low shutter speed without CS/IS/IBIS then both subject and stationary background will be blurry.

A simple tripod mounted on a non-moving platform, will outperform a handheld camera using CS/IS/IBIS.

Wow, a long article about stabilization system. Gary, I do appreciate of your detailed statement for the image stabilization and camera stabilizer. You are really an expert with rich knowledge of photography. Thanks :)

Most reactions

Back