DIY tripod harness. (Lots of photos)

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Bogen 3211 tripod a few weeks ago, I love it! When I took it out for the first time for a hike and some wildlife shooting, I found it was a pain to carry with my camera bag. Going through brush and over fences was really hard! So I started thinking of a good way to carry it on my back, but I wanted to be able to get it off quickly. So I started to think of a Biathlon harness, they are easy on, easy off, and cost like $350!!!:aiwebs_016: So I made my own, using plumbing parts from the locale hardware store!:biggrin-93:

I started with four 1/2" brass couplers, and a old 1 1/2" chrome plated brass drain pipe. I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to take a the drain pipe down to raw brass. Then clamped the couplers to the drain, and soldered them on one at a time.
6-15-15 003.jpg

I cut a slit down one side, for the clamp.
6-15-15 004.jpg

I then cut two pieces of CPVC pipe 32" (more or less) each.
6-15-15 005.jpg

6-15-15 006.jpg

6-15-15 007.jpg

I ran a small rope into one pipe and then through the other, and then tied the rope lower on the leg bowing the pipe. I used a large hose clamp, to clamp the fittings to the tripod leg. And then the test fit! :1219:
6-15-15 008.jpg

I also used a lot duct tape on the inside edge of the CPVC pipe to keep it from cutting the rope.

6-15-15 009.jpg

It seemed to work very nicely, so it was time for padding! I had some used padding from something else, so I cut it into 1 1/4" strips and super glued it down in layers.
6-15-15 010.jpg

Then the covering. I happened to have a bag of leather scraps, so it got suede leather on the under side.
6-15-15 011.jpg

I used super glue to put the leather on.
6-15-15 012.jpg

To finish it off, I used very nice looking lamb skin on the top. Using more super glue! :allteeth:
6-15-15 013.jpg

It's not the best leather job, but it is good enough for me! :)
6-15-15 014.jpg

6-15-15 015.jpg

6-15-15 016.jpg

6-15-15 017.jpg

I really like how it turned out! It stays on, even jumping up and down, or swinging side to side. It's rather comfy, and I can have it off and set up with my camera on it in less than 45 seconds, and cost me 6 Bucks to build!!!:clap:

If anyone wants more details let me know! :)

Ain't never been a problem that couldn't be solved with duct tape and superglue :biggrin-93::biggrin-93::biggrin-93:

I use Gorilla band duct tape and superglue, they are the best!!!

Quit your day job and start building us all one!

LOL, I thought about that, if I did start making them, I would use something different that the CPVC, I would use something more durable. :)
Thanks! :)

Very cool - I would never have thought of that.

I figured if the design is good enough for Olympians, a cheap crummy copy is good enough for me! :laughing:

Thanks!

Well I took it out for it's first hike, and it did great! I went through really tall grass and weeds, climbed over downed trees, over steel gates, and ran with it on. It never got tiring, and nothing broke!!!:bouncingsmileys:

Ain't never been a problem that couldn't be solved with duct tape and superglue :biggrin-93::biggrin-93::biggrin-93:
Yeah,you should see my bird feeder mounted on the pole.LOL

:laugh2:
So now its a tripod with a crossbow.Great,I am afraid to go out birding now.

I thought I'd get to see a spider robot at the end.. Disappointed! :lol: :lol:

Way to go man, you're a true engineer! :)

you should put a sports camera next time you go out hiking with that so we can all see everything you go through.

and you could start hunting Sasquaches !!

You should get a monkey (or an assistant but the monkey has no photo rights ;)) to get some photos of you wearing it and putting it on/off ^^

Most reactions

Back