Camera Store Rant

that is really unfortunate and not very smart on the salesperson's part. i know that when i bought my d70, i knew VERY LITTLE about photography and if i was treated like that, i would have been very upset. luckily, i had a saleswoman who was really polite, tried to help me figure out what i would be using the camera for, etc.

you could even write a letter to the store, if you are so inclined (and irritated). i hope you find a different store and a great camera!

And to play Devils Advocate - maybe he wanted to prevent her from spending a crap load of money on something that was out of her usage range, and simply didnt know how to communicate that any better? Id rather not get a sale, by steering someone away from making a bad choice - than to have someone buy something that they dont really need.

neea said:
You beat me to it Mike.
I was gonna say that I've never had any luck at the one on 75th (oddly. my bf also lives not too far as well)

When ever I've been to the 75th one I usually walk around waiting for someone to say 'Can I help you'. And they never do. So I swore that the downtown one was better, until my last experience of course.

Mike, you'll have to give your friends name so when I'm in there next I can say 'Big Mike sent me' :D

Yeah, I think I'm going to steer clear of there even if it IS the easiest to get to.

The guys that have helped me there have been knowledgable - just in a superbly condescending way. My one experience at the Southgate location was pretty good though.

ANDS! said:
And to play Devils Advocate - maybe he wanted to prevent her from spending a crap load of money on something that was out of her usage range, and simply didnt know how to communicate that any better? Id rather not get a sale, by steering someone away from making a bad choice - than to have someone buy something that they dont really need.

At the beginning of the conversation, I said that I wanted a camera with manual controls because I was interested in learning about photography. He was the one that orignally suggested the D50 for me. We then talked for a few minutes about different photography classes in the area. It wasn't until we were talking about lens options that the subject of kids ever came up. After that, the conversation was pretty much over. Maybe he was just upset that I wasn't ready to pony up an additional $500 for another lens. :roll:

If you know what you want...you can always call McBain and they will send it to your local store....those stores are really poorly stocked anyway IMO. Half of the store is just picture frames and photo albums. I was at the new location in Kingsway...and I wanted to kill some time while my wife was shopping...they didn't even have any L lenses for me to play with :(

Most reactions

Back