Camera Strap question: Op/Tech, LowePro?

TexJoachim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Simply put, I need a new strap.
I've been using one from Op/Tech which I really like apart from the bouncing of the attached camera while walking. This annoys me a lot, so I surfed around and found these two straps by LowePro:

-Transporter
-Voyager S

Are these in the same league as Op/Tech? They are padded, but will they bounce the camera as well? If so, is there any padded strap where this will not happen?

Regards,

Joe
PS: ...and if someone could please tell me where I can turn on automatic subscriptions of all the topics I post in, I'd be a happy man.

I think any neck type strap is going to have the camera bounce. I have the Lowepro Speedster and when it is around my neck then it will bounce.The Lowepro strap I have is extremely soft, much better than the OEM strap and if I string it around my neck and shoulder it has less bounce but it is short, I am sure the Black Rapid type sling straps would work better for that and be less bouncy. There are also harnesses for cameras as well that may work for you. I have found that I hold my camera with the strap wrapped around my hand more often than I have it over my neck or it's in the bag, the DSLR has a much better ergonomic hold than the flat SLRs had.

Thanks! I've had a long look at their products. Very nice, but alas not for me.
I've taken the liberty to properly stuff out my belly, as to give the camera a cozy resting place and I intend to keep it that way. ;)

That said, the RS-4 looks at least interesting, but I'm in fear of my camera crashing down.

Regards,

Joe

I highly recommend, am not associated with (except a a satisfied customer) www.blackrapid.com, but use their products nearly everyday.

I have looked at these quite a bit, but was curious about the mounting. I understand that it goes in the tripod socket but does it start to loosen after time leaving you having to constantly check it? Also, I like to keep a quick release plate on the camera a lot of the time, is there a way to do this and still use this strap?

Perhaps you should stick to the classic canvas or cloth straps rather than the neoprene straps. The neoprene straps are suppose to be a bit stretchy and bounce... some see that as a way of adding some comfort for heavier equipment. The classic cloth or canvas style straps do not stretch like neoprene.

The domke gripper straps are a popular option for many many years... way before these neoprene straps where i the market. I suggest getting the wider 1.5 inch version with the swivels.

My lowe pro (model escapes me at the moment) seems to be less stretchable than my optech strap but might still be too bouncy.

Heck, you can probably try anynumber of classic styles sold on ebay real cheap.... someone sells straps made out of automotive seatbelts.

As for me, I have finally found the perfect strap that works for me. 2inch wide straps from rileyg. Expensive.. yes.. but the perfect amount of comfort and the only strap that does not slip off my shoulder. Camera Straps - Designer Camera Straps It too is a classic design modeled after guitar straps but a bit more modern i build. My only complaint, no swivels like the domke. I recommend getting the simplier designs as the straps are a bit thinner (less layers of material) and the superloops if ypu prefer the straps short.

By the way, i just checked my lowepro and its the transporter. I think it will suite your needs as the nylon strap takes the majority of e load rather than neoprene material. Build and quality is good if not slightly better than my much older optech. Two complains... 1) no swivels 2) the buckles that attach to the camera are both female, chich means they cannot me connected together and used as a wrist strap. I can show up close pics if you want.

I highly recommend, am not associated with (except a a satisfied customer) www.blackrapid.com, but use their products nearly everyday.

I have looked at these quite a bit, but was curious about the mounting. I understand that it goes in the tripod socket but does it start to loosen after time leaving you having to constantly check it? Also, I like to keep a quick release plate on the camera a lot of the time, is there a way to do this and still use this strap?

Nope never have had it loosen on me. Even tho make a habit to check. And I use the rectangle manfrotto plate on mine and has a swing out D-link on bottom of plate. Was lucky and have the old RS-2 strap they sent me to review on my D40/D60 blog like 3 years ago. And been my main strap since. Like it hanging at my side out of the way and ready to grab in a heartbeat.

For neck straps many are happy with the cushy Op/Tech straps also the Crumpler Disgrace is highly regarded. The main problems for me is I don't like them hanging in front of me bouncing around and causing a pain in the neck. So if I was going to go with a neck strap I would make sure it was long enough to sling diagonally across so I can get the camera to my side of small of my back.

By the way, i just checked my lowepro and its the transporter. I think it will suite your needs as the nylon strap takes the majority of e load rather than neoprene material. Build and quality is good if not slightly better than my much older optech. Two complains... 1) no swivels 2) the buckles that attach to the camera are both female, chich means they cannot me connected together and used as a wrist strap. I can show up close pics if you want.

Thanks for the info! I don't mind the absence of swivels as well as the buckles. Any quick releases are deactivated anyway.

Regards,

Joe

+1 for the Black Rapid, I use a Black Rapid RS-Sport and it's incredible. I can keep the strap where i want it, the camera doesn't get in the way, the strap doesn't get inin your face when you put the camera up, and i can still move it wherever i want.

+1 for the Black Rapid, I use a Black Rapid RS-Sport and it's incredible. I can keep the strap where i want it, the camera doesn't get in the way, the strap doesn't get inin your face when you put the camera up, and i can still move it wherever i want.

the optech doesnt get in my face actually i can vouch for it, it does bounce around alot but i tend to keep my hand on the camera itself, I also only use one of the quick rlease strap connectors, the other i keep on my film camera, so far nothing has released or fallen. I would of gotten the blackrapid strap but at 3x the price i feel i can put the money towards something else, altho it is something you only buy once. I have no regrets i love the optech strap. BUT if u dont like the optech might as well go for the black rapid, u'll be happy with it and wont have to purchase another strap for pretty much ever... if u've already purchased one strap u dont like why try and chance it with an other mid grade strap? the money spent on both ur almost the price of black rapid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back