Camera strap recommendations

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a replacement strap for my OM-D E-M5ii.

I am looking for a sling-style strap, not too expensive. Something that holds the camera at the hip and the camera points toward the ground.
Like This One
What are your brand recommendations?

I'm sticking with stock strap until I can afford the BlackRapid stuff.

I'm sticking with stock strap until I can afford the BlackRapid stuff.

Thanks for your comment. I don't like my OM strap, it's too short.
I'm really liking that Blackrapid Metro Sling. Thanks for that recommendation. It's similar to that Joby.

Sure thing. I don't have any personal experience with these "hi-end" straps, but the BlackRapid stuff is
universally recommended all over the place and has been for years.

I'm looking for a replacement strap for my OM-D E-M5ii.

I am looking for a sling-style strap, not too expensive. Something that holds the camera at the hip and the camera points toward the ground.
Like This One
What are your brand recommendations?

Most people choose Black Rapid. When I bought a sling strap I settled on Speed Carry because it had an extra little fail-safe strap to prevent the camera falling if the regular attachment points fail, and the plate that attached to the camera is so designed that you do not lose access to the tripod socket when it is attached. But I haven't looked at straps for a while, and possibly Black Rapid also has these features now. If not, I stick by Speed Carry.

First search result, lol, not suggesting anything but this is funny :)
TlgIWHZ.jpg

Here is one choice. Has worked for me carrying around approximately 7lbs for hours.
It also leaves the tripod socket free. Save some money over the BR models and buy beer. :)

Here is one choice. Has worked for me carrying around approximately 7lbs for hours.
It also leaves the tripod socket free. Save some money over the BR models and buy beer. :)

Thanks for that suggestion J.R. I do like the feature keeping the tripod socket free...as i always leave the arcs-Swiss plate on the body.

Do you find it swinging at all as you walk?

Thanks for that suggestion J.R. I do like the feature keeping the tripod socket free...as i always leave the arcs-Swiss plate on the body.

Do you find it swinging at all as you walk?

It definitely will, but most of the time I have a few fingers on the grip. I have the extension straps and adjust it just about the length of my arm hanging down so that most of the weight is on my shoulder, while my fingers are used to keep it from swaying much. At some point, I should take a photo that shows better or maybe even a quick little video. This shot was taken by Wifey, the Randa of the Jaca.
d6989e08f3096323707084788f4ed173.jpg

Last edited:
I used Black Rapid straps for 5 years. While I was mostly happy with the strap, BR (and all similar one point sling straps) has a few problems.

1) You lose your tripod mount. As someone who uses a tripod a lot, this is really annoying. I overcame this by using an Op-Tech Utility Loop that I ran through the regular strap lug and then attached the BR to it.

2) It lets the camera swing around uncontrollably. This is really annoying. Need to bend down to get something? Hope no one else is kneeling down next to you, or they're going to get nailed right in the head. Having to constantly deal with a camera that keeps swinging around while you walk gets old. Then to add to the issue this swinging causes the strap to twist up. Annoying.

I think sling straps are the way to go, but after having used an adjustable, two point sling strap I think the BR and similar straps are definitely inferior in design when compared.
An adjustable sling that attaches at two points is much better. Lumalabs originated the idea with their Cinch (which is what I now use) and Peak Design followed suit with their Slide. You can see the products in action here:

Peak Design:

Luma Labs:

I love my BR Sports Sling, but I have to admit that I don't use a tripod that often, so it's not a big deal to me that I have to take the strap off to use the tripod mount.
Also, I have no real experience with any of the other brands, so nothing really to compare my BR to.
I do know my sister has had two of the cheaper ones and not been happy with either of them--but I don't know what brand(s) they were.

I have various makes, brands, models of straps, including Black Rapid single and double. Of all my straps, I vote that the best value for the dollar is this: WorthTrust Quck Neck Shoulder Strap. Amazon Link

ETA: DO read the reviews though. Some are pretty scary. I've always attached to my strap lugs using a heavy keyring, so for me it's a great strap. But it looks like attaching to the tripod mount of the camera body might make it a bad idea.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the one Buckster recommends. It's great!

I tried my single point sling made in my neiborhood tactical shop and I loved it. $15 too.

I think I will order the one Buckster uses. Very good price.

Roger

Most reactions

New Topics

Back