Camera straps

DaveAB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and returning to serious still photography after a couple of decades of absence. I'm starting to buy equipment again and I have a question about one of the most boring things you can think of - camera straps. (A great way to impress everyone with my photographic expertise, huh?)

I see that a lot of straps now have thin cords like you see in this image:
12562985.jpg

Are these thin cords reliable and wear-resistant? Any idea how heavy a camera and lens combination these might be okay with, maybe a big DSLR with a long-ish lens like maybe a 180 or 200?

Does anyone have any specific recommendations? I prefer fairly traditional shoulder straps, maybe an inch wide at the most.

Thanks everyone! It's good to be back shooting after such a long time away from it.

Dave

EDIT: I didn't notice a search tool available or I would have checked older threads for something on this.

At the very top of the page right above the word "Gallery" is a magnifying glass for searches. Hopefully that'll help.

Ah, got it. Thanks. It seems my powers of observation have become rusty over the years!

At the very top of the page right above the word "Gallery" is a magnifying glass for searches. Hopefully that'll help.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and returning to serious still photography after a couple of decades of absence. I'm starting to buy equipment again and I have a question about one of the most boring things you can think of - camera straps. (A great way to impress everyone with my photographic expertise, huh?)

I see that a lot of straps now have thin cords like you see in this image:
12562985.jpg

Are these thin cords reliable and wear-resistant? Any idea how heavy a camera and lens combination these might be okay with, maybe a big DSLR with a long-ish lens like maybe a 180 or 200?

Does anyone have any specific recommendations? I prefer fairly traditional shoulder straps, maybe an inch wide at the most.

Thanks everyone! It's good to be back shooting after such a long time away from it.

Dave

EDIT: I didn't notice a search tool available or I would have checked older threads for something on this.
I'm not familiar with any strap that uses those cords. How would that be used? Is that going to hold a camera?I wouldn't trust buckles like those shown to hold something expensive.

If you want a regular strap, then that is what you should get.

That's what I can't figure out, too. I did buy a couple of fairly inexpensive straps that have this (just for short-term use), and the cords are too thick to thread through the eyelets on the camera bodies (Contax G1s in this case). I used these with split rings for the day I needed them, then reconfigured the straps to something a bit more "traditional" that eliminated the thin cords.

In the time since I posted my original question, I found some straps that look like they'll be really good, the PacSafe Carrysafe 100 GII. They have a few ways of mounting to cameras and don't use those plastic buckles. The only complaint seems to be that these aren't as flexible as normal straps because they have anti-theft stainless steel threads woven in, but that seems to only be an issue when putting cameras back into bags, something I'm not too concerned about. (Note: I'm not promoting these straps - I just learned of them today.)

Looks like that same fabric covered nylon line used on the neck straps of USB drives, which don't last very long. I wouldn't truck my camera to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google Peak Design camera straps. They have 2 different width straps depending on what camera and lenses you have. I have the smaller size its awesome the cords attach to the camera eyelets then you can easily change the way you carry or off all together for say a tripod.

Last edited:
My old OP/TECH sling clips looked like that, and they carried and held my old Canon 70D and Sigma 150-600mm like a dream.

Google Peak Design camera straps. They have 2 different width straps depending on what camera and lenses you have. I have the smaller size its awesome the cords attach to the camera eyelets then you can easily change the way you carry or off all to of say on a tripod.

Peak Design are the best, I have two PD Slides and are fantastic.

I use 3 straps on my camera.
Note I use a battery grip with my camera and whilst the straps I note below will work without a grip (or use an adaptor to do so) the grip makes a lot of things work better. Plus you get added stability and portrait orientation buttons and controls on a DSLR.

1) OP-Tech neck strap. This uses the lace and clips you show above (or similar) and its plenty strong enough to hold a heavy lens. A 70-200mm f2.8 hangs easily and anything heavier is probably going to be too heavy to really have safely hang on your neck from the strap. The padded neck band is comfortable without digging into your neck and the clips are sturdy and strong. They also let you remove the main body of the strap very fast. This means you can take it off when you don't want it getting in the way - such as when doing tripod work or if out and around but not letting the camera just hang inactive.

2) An E1 Wrist strap by Canon. This uses the battery grip lug to give some support to your right hand when shooting. It's comfortable and gives you easy support when you let your arm dangle down with the camera hanging; letting you lean your wrist into the strap a bit to flex and relax your fingers and take some of the strain off. It's also small enough that you can grab the camera and place your hand over the strap and shoot as normal (I do this all the time and I don't have big hands at all).

3) A Black Rapid shoulder strap. Honestly the one I really really love and since getting I've hardly touched my neck strap. This connects to the bottom of the camera and lets you take the weight not on your neck but on your shoulder; whilst leaving the camera sitting at your hip. This means that the strap can take the weight and your left arm just has to hold it steady from bumping and bouncing around. It really takes the strain off hand holding.

Note that with mine I've modified it slightly. I use arca swiss quick release plates, which are metal plates unique to each camera body/lens collar. They fit onto the cameras tripod screwthread as normal, but the metal plat has a lip which prevents it rotating (like many quick release plates can do). So because I have this plate mounted all the time I use a quick release receiver for the adaptor and onto that I connect the lug that connects to the black rapid. Thus I just use the quick release screwthread to take off or put on the attachment onto the quick release plate. Works like a charm and makes it faster to get on and off.

If I were using a lot of lighter smaller lenses then the next strap would be fine, however I tend to end up using bigger/ heavier lenses so the black rapid has really come into its own.

I've had the Peak Design Slide for about a year. Love it. It holds my 80D and Tamron 150-600mm.

I use the Peak Design Slide (on the D7200) and the Slide Lite (on the EM1).

I found the wider strap much more comfortable for heavier lenses (like a 70-200), and the strap is long enough for cross shoulder carry. A heavy lens on a neck strap is hard on the back of the neck. The cross shoulder carry lets me carry a heavier load without getting a sore neck.

I use a AS L-bracket that lets me attach the right strap to the bracket. That gets the strap out of the way of my right hand, and does not fall in my face when I turn the camera vertical.

As for durability. Mine seems to be just fine. But check the strap when you pick it up, and replace the worn part when it shows wear, BEFORE it breaks.

I used the Optec Travel strap, with the embedded cable, to prevent cutting of the strap. But I found that the slides don't slide up/down the strap easily, so it was a bit of a hassle. But it worked. And unlike the PD Slide, it did not have to slide on my shoulder, which does not work very well when I am packing a backpack.

Most reactions

Back