Camera Suggestion for Hiking

kml89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some sort of camera for when I go backpacking/hiking and was looking for some suggestions. I'm no photographer, just looking to take some pics of my travels, so I don't need a crazy DSLR or anything. Something that takes good quality pics (obviously), reasonably priced, and small & light. Video recording capabilities would be nice too... I was looking at a flipcam for something like that (are they any good?), but don't know much about them. Heard that they can record for around 2 hours, so I thought that maybe if there is a camera out there that has similar capabilities I can just get that and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance.

Try looking into the ' rugged ' cameras

-Please ignore typos I'm currently on my phone-

If it were me, I would go with a high end compact camera, which they are not really reasonably priced, like the Cannon PowerShot G1 X or the Nikon COOLPIX P7100.

I am a Nikon guy, but that Cannon PowerShot G1 X is one bad ass point and shoot!

I do not know anything about the flipcam.

Good luck.

I have a Canon S95 and love it! Very compact and makes great pics.

The S100 has a significantly better wide angle though... 24mm vs 28, which would be better for landscape.

I would suggest you also look at what the 'mirror less' options have to offer. Several body/lens combinations are very compact (maybe not really pocketable) and deliver great image quality, in a small and light form factor.

I picked up a Nikon V1 and so far I am very happy with it, and use it when I don't want to lug the DSLR around.

There are great options from Panasonic and Olympus as well ... and most sport good video capabilities.

High end compacts are a good choice for you I guess. They do save weight compared to an SLR with lens(es).I usually carry a sturdy SLR with tripod and several lenses on several-week wilderness hikes ... but you really have to be photography crazy to punish yourself like that ;)

Most reactions

Back