Camera suggestions for new photographer

Jt518

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good afternoon, I have a 15 year old son who is very interested in photography, specifically he wants to get into macro photography. I have zero knowledge about cameras and was looking for a good beginner set up for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are two suggestions I recommend and like a lot. Also great vacation/travel cameras you'll even like.

1. Richo GRIIIx is a highly capable, compact pocket camera w/ great reviews. Pros even use it, especially when being discrete is important, like street photography because of its small size.
Focus as close as .12meter in macro mode.

2. Nikon Z30 if he wants a regular camera/lens combo w/ great video and vlogging capability too. And a little less money and interchangeable lenses are available. It is not as easy to use but it's also more versatile.
Focus as close as .2 meter.

Last edited:
Macro photography is really about close-focusing lenses. Most kit lenses don't do that very well. A basic DSLR body and a macro lens seems the ticket, whatever the brand.

An entry-level Nikon DSLR and 40/2.8 Micro-Nikkor would be a nice kit(the lens works just fine for general photography, too).

It would also help in recommendations if we knew a budget.

So several tips here.
1. The issue isn't the camera, it's the lens. Almost any DSLR or Mirrorless camera can shoot macro photography--with the right lens. But it's the lens that allows you get up close or to magnify the subject. So you may end up paying more for a macro lens than you do the camera body. Let me explain. I can put a zoom lens that will have a focal length of 70mm. But the closest I can get to the subject is 3 feet--any closer and it gets blurry. But if I put my 70mm Macro lens on the exact same body, I can get up to 6 inches away to shoot.

2. If you can supply an approximate budget, that would be helpful.

3. Keep in mind, your son may be interested in macro photography right now. But if he enjoys shooting macro, it may very quick branch off in to shooting....wildlife. Or landscapes. Or concerts. So while you're buying something to shoot macro with, having flexibility is a good thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back