Camera to complement your phone

dolina

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are you looking to buy a camera to complement your smartphone but dont know what to get? Then read on!

If size & weight are important and you have no plans to buy a 2nd lens then a point & shoot with a large image sensor like those found in a Four Thirds, APS-C, Full frame camera may be of interest to you.

Large image sensor allows for better image quality than any and all smartphones.

Their built-in lens tends to have faster f-number than the kit lens of mirrorless or dSLRs.

They also have WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC to complement and connect to your smartphone.

Listed below are some of these cameras that are smaller & weigh less than their mirrorless counterpart. These are accurate as of the date of this posting.

Full Frame
- Leica Q (Type 116) < looks like a Leica M camera but with auto focus and auto aperture
- Sony RX1R II
- Sony RX1R
- Sony RX1

APS-C
- Fujifilm X100F
- Ricoh GR II
- Canon G1 Mark III
- Fujifilm X70
- Leica X-U (Typ 113)

Four Thirds
- Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100

Another option that offers higher utility may be buying a flagship phone like a Google Pixel 2 or iPhone 8.

You may leave your new camera at home but never your phone.

The best camera you can ever own is the one with you always.

Are there any cameras that have a slot for a cell phone chip?

Why would I need a camera to compliment my phone? I've taken a bit over 93,000 photographs in the past 5 years with my cameras. I MIGHT have taken a dozen with my phone.

Great to know Steve, Scott and Bear.

But keep in mind this thread isn't for serious photographers like yourselves who lean heavily on expressing yourself creatively.

This is more for casual photographers who want to document in high image quality photos of their life events like their kid's first steps, graduation, vacations, dinner out with friends and family, birthdays, dates, anniversaries and others.

Sharing these within seconds onto the Internet whether it be Facebook, iMessage or email

In fact for that reason alone is why the sales of digital point & shoots that peaked at 108 million units in 2010 dropped to 12 million units in 2016.

Mirrorless and dSLRs that shipped 11 million units in 2016 are expected this year to sell more cameras than point & shoots as sales of these cameras will continue to decline below 11 million.

I personally expect sales of point & shoots to stabilize at 2-3 million units or about 20% of the total camera market by 2020.

Yep. To me too it's the other way around.
The cameras on my phone & tablet compliment my DSLRs.

I thought it was called Plagiarism ?
How does one plagiary from once's self? :)

As original author I have the right to distribute my original works through any platform that is open.

So long as I do not violate any end user agreement or terms of service then what is at issue then?

I use an Olympus TG4 to complement my phone.
It goes places that I cant take my phone and does a decently good job.
Recently I took an OMD EM5 II with the 12-40 f/2.8 on vacation.
That is a cracking good camera. The only place I forgot to bring any camera and had to use my phone was when we rushed out of the house to get in line at this fabulous new kabayaki restaurant that did really good unagi. I griped and my GF said...oh just enjoy the food already.

b29bbf4a1164df5d613246fceabb3243.jpg

I went with the iPhone SE, and the Nikon D610. Together the two make a pretty good combination.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back